Western digital sentinel software update is installing

I made the mistake of trying to apply 1.7.6.21 to a working and stable DX4000 (1.7.3.13). Now the DX4000 is stuck on the update after several restarts and at least 3 hours, yet the LCD still says Updating Software, the drive count says zero, though the capacity screen is correct. The drive lights are off and the Power light is red and the fan is on full.

The unit is accessible from the network, the shares are up, the dashboard is working and reporting that a software update is being applied. HOURS of this. Not sure what is holding it up from finishing.

What was I thinking? Can I undo?

look in c:\wd and see if there is a log file perhaps that may hint what is going on.

I would also look in services.msc and make sure the WD services are started

I remoted in and ran the dashboard, applied the update again. It went through the steps to install, closed the dashboard auto-magically and ran for about 10 minutes then restarted auto magically. Now its doing more, all drive lights are on and blue, power light is blue, panel LCD reporting all drives and capacity, and a new message is showing that says;

“Software Upgrade Reboot Required”

I hesitate to reboot it because the drive lights are all flashing as though there is still significant disk activity occurring. Will wait another 10 minutes and see if she restarts auto-magically on her own again.

VICTORY. She just restarted and now the LCD says Software Update Completed. Remoting in now to verify… Whew!~