Western Digital 3TB My Cloud - OS 5 - How to install and use Docker

Dear all,

Western Digital 3TB My Cloud - OS 5 - How to install and use Docker

Can I install Docker in Western Digital 3TB My Cloud OS 5 ?

Thank you

Hi @Benjiyau,

Docker is a 3rd party app and Western Digital Technical Support does not provide setup, configuration or troubleshooting of 3rd party apps outside of the download, installation and successful launch of the app from the My Cloud dashboard.

Please refer to the article My Cloud OS 5: 3rd Party Apps Matrix:

@Benjiyau,

Are the details in Docker support in OS5? - #50 by Mifra of any help ?

I’ve also just had a go at generating the docker installation packages so check out Release docker-v20.10.14 · JediNite/wdpksrc · GitHub or Release Docker v20.10.14 for WD My Cloud · WDCommunity/wdpksrc · GitHub.

JediNite

@Benjiyau , if you do not get it running, you should probably look into if it is a My Cloud or a My Cloud EX2 Ultra.
I recently got mine, and chose EX2 Ultra due to not being able to find consensus on the My Cloud being able to run Docker at all. As I found threads on here on how to get EX2 Ultra to run, that made my decission for that specifically.

I do not know the difference on My Cloud Home and My Cloud EX2 Ultra other than the Ultra being from the Expert series.

@JediNite
Just installed your image and it now states v20.10.14 and not had problems so far

Mifra

Hi Mifra,

Still no work. Showed

@Benjiyau,
That message suggests that something went wrong with the download and it is either corrupt or the processor of your device is not the ARM which the image is built for.
Which device is it you are using?

Mifra

WDMyCloud

@Benjiyau, Mine is a “My Cloud EX2 Ultra” so I am not able to say if this “My Cloud Home” is compatible with docker at all. I did not find proof that it does, which is why I opted for the EX2 Ultra instead.

You can check the cpu using an ssh login to it and find something like the below (example is from mine):

root@MyCloudEX2Ultra  # cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
model name      : ARMv7 Processor rev 1 (v7l)
BogoMIPS        : 1332.00
Features        : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp thumbee neon vfpv3 tls vfpd32
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x4
CPU part        : 0xc09
CPU revision    : 1

processor       : 1
model name      : ARMv7 Processor rev 1 (v7l)
BogoMIPS        : 1332.00
Features        : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp thumbee neon vfpv3 tls vfpd32
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x4
CPU part        : 0xc09
CPU revision    : 1

Hardware        : Marvell Armada 380/385 (Device Tree)
Revision        : 0000
Serial          : 0000000000000000
root@MyCloudEX2Ultra  #

@Benjiyau,

The packages I built are supposed to be for OS5, and assuming this is what you are running from the thread name. I also compiled the arm packages on an EX4100 NAS as that is what I have access to, so not sure if that could be a factor.

Cheers,

JediNite

I found below in WD website.
Is MyCloud do not support OS 5? Am I correct?

I found below in WD website.
Is MyCloud do not support OS 5? Am I correct? (* Docker software)

@Benjiyau,

This page seems to indicate that OS5 firmware is available for the “My Cloud” NAS product : https://support-en.wd.com/app/products/product-detailweb/p/126.

However, this one most likely indicates it isn’t. : Devices Available and Supported for My Cloud OS 5 Firmware Upgrade

You really need to check the version of the firmware you are currently running and also the Model Number of your device.

The table you pasted does not show any support for docker on any WD product as they removed official support status for it some time ago and it has been the community that got it working. The only thing WD did to support this effort was to put the right “hooks” in the kernel the various products use so docker can work correctly.

I really think it will be a case of “your mileage may vary”. I personally only have an EX4100, so can’t comment on the docker support on other products.

JediNite

Hi all,

Packages for docker version 20.10.15 are now available.

Cheers,

JediNite