Welcome to the WD Sentinel DX4000 Community

WD welcomes you to the new Sentinel DX4000 community board.  Please feel free to share your experiences with the WD Sentinel with each other.

3 Likes

That thing looks like a beast on the specs, o.o I mean 2 Gigabit ports? 2 USB 3.0 ports and takes 2 AC adapters as well? 2GB of RAM and a dual core 1.8 processor (Even though it’s an Atom)? And it even supports Linux file transfer but it doesn’t list SMBX/SMB2 support on the protocols so Lion is out of the picture.

Then again the specs lists it runs WS2K8 R2 so its target/optimization is Windows, which is better for servers and explains why it doesn’t support Lion out of the box as it would mess-up server performance… Smart move, but members of the Church of Apple are going to get angry :smileyvery-happy:

1 Like

No one smart uses any Unix or Linux and NFS.  Better to stick with SMB, I think.  :smiley:

I’ve had a Sentinel for a little while but not much time to play with it…  It’s an interesting enough device and I’m looking forward to writing some tutorials or something.

1 Like

Nathan_H wrote:

No one smart uses any Unix or Linux and NFS.  Better to stick with SMB, I think.  :smiley:

I’ve had a Sentinel for a little while but not much time to play with it…  It’s an interesting enough device and I’m looking forward to writing some tutorials or something.

Excuse me? Are you calling me stupid?!?!?! Just because I like pulling out my hair from frustration every time I stream a video from my Linux box?

1 Like

Nathan_H wrote:

Looking forward to it!

ThePizzaMatrix wrote:

That thing looks like a beast on the specs, o.o I mean 2 Gigabit ports? 2 USB 3.0 ports and takes 2 AC adapters as well? 2GB of RAM and a dual core 1.8 processor (Even though it’s an Atom)? And it even supports Linux file transfer but it doesn’t list SMBX/SMB2 support on the protocols so Lion is out of the picture.

Then again the specs lists it runs WS2K8 R2 so its target/optimization is Windows, which is better for servers and explains why it doesn’t support Lion out of the box as it would mess-up server performance… Smart move, but members of the Church of Apple are going to get angry :smileyvery-happy:

LOL,

Well it only requires one PSU.  You can use two for redundancy.  I have been using this thing for a while and love it! 

1 Like

Nathan_H wrote:

No one smart uses any Unix or Linux and NFS. 

OUCH!  :dizzy_face:   That stings!

I guess I’d better clarify and say my scorn was directed wholey at NFS and not at Unix or Linux (which, I think, have proven themselves after 42 and 20 years, respectively).

Lack of file locking means if you’re mounting the same folders on multiple systems, it’s a great network file system if you hate data.  But it can be pretty useful in certain circumstances, and it’s good to have the option there for those times when it’s going to work.