Wdtv r.i.p

So today i’m nosing around the WD site at the Elements Play only to go to the Media player page and lo behold…THE WDTV HAS BEEN REMOVED !!!

Yep it seems that there yet another player in the form of the HUB and the only WDTV to remain is the Live.

Are WD taking the ■■■■ and killed of the Gen2 already or am I mistaken? It’s no wonder they never bring out any firmware updates in their endless hardware releases. Just how many players are they going to churn out and subsequently not support.

Sadly the Hub looks nice but that’s it now NO MORE WD FOR ME…I am sick to death of the rushed and unsupported

hardware these guys are churning out.

:angry:

At this exact moment, it’s hard to say for sure.  It’s not on the “Legacy” page… yet.

But I’d been guessing for a while that it was being discontinued, since BestBuy stopped listing them on the websites.

RoofingGuy wrote:

At this exact moment, it’s hard to say for sure.  It’s not on the “Legacy” page… yet.

But I’d been guessing for a while that it was being discontinued, since BestBuy stopped listing them on the websites.

Yes I noticed it’s absence from the Legacy page too…In fact it’s absent from anywhere!..along with the Mini it’s as if they’ve swept them under the carpet in the hope nobody notices :smileyvery-happy:

So lets see now we’ve had WDTV-1, WDTV-Mini, WDTV-2, WDTV-Live, WDTV-Live+, WD Elements Play and now the WDTV Hub. That’s just plain rediculous.

And to be honest after sufficient fixes only the WDTV-1 & Live have worked properly! The Mini was pointless, WDTV-2 unsupported and very buggy, Elements Play has no 24p or apprently Video Thumbnails/Covers.

I’m going to see what the Boxee Box performs like next as at this point in time I couldn’t care less if the HUB turns out great, I don’t trust WD to bin it or not support it within 6 months.

While i’m on the subject of the WDTV (1&2) can it read more than 2TB per USB “IF” using a 2 drive enclosure with 2*2TB drives? :neutral_face:

ROFL…what a nightmare. I guessed it would come to this though. Like all good engineers, if you completely and utterly fail at something, you hide the fact that you even tried. And lets face it…WD has some ‘good’ engineers. We’ve all felt it in these highly supported, well polished products that they’re peddling. But hey, they now have a 7th generation product which should have all the kinks worked out right? And if you wait a couple more months, they’ll probably have a 10th generation product that’s even ‘gooder’.

Not that these were ever of any use before, and maybe even less so now if that’s possible…

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/wdtv/

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_hd

ROFL…i just can’t stop laughing…:smileyvery-happy: