WDTV Live update ( work around ) Fix

when i got mine a **bleep** it was version 1.01.11 it updated fine

yesterday it prompted **bleep** I got Lucky.

Any how have any of you tried downloading the version that was working for you befor the update

or even the new one

and renaming it …the system is not going to detect the same version number as new firmware so if you updated to say

1.01.12  and you download version (1.01.11) or (1.01.12) and put it on your usb drive nothing will happen

because the os the same firmware version

So if big if   you download the firmware that worked before or the new one renameing say (1.01.12) to 1.01.13 it should try to install

hope it works

DDT 

already tried, no success.

A lot of people tried a lot of different thing… my only hope so far is the WD Software team… PLEASE !!!

could you explain what you did exactly (eg) dowloaded what **bleep** in what way did or did not unplug the wd live and then insert the thumb drive wait say five min plug in the wd live and  boot

just tring to help

DDT

Thx **bleep** at wdtvhd.com there’s also another thread about this issue.

Personally I tried

1 usb stick in each port

2 usb stick in same time with both firmware on it

1 usb 40gb Hard drive each port

I tried usb stick/usb HD while booting the WDTV LIVE

I tried all those method with a .VER modified (1.02.14)

I could continue writing for a page :wink: haha

what ( ver.) did you start with

heres a long shot but maybe the os is still running in the background but not looking for an update

so I did a factory reset on my working unit mines not bricked and and went through the menue to get to the update page

so if you want to try I would make sure the network is connected and the thumb drive is in

here is the sequence

arrow up one time, then enter

arrow up one time, then enter

arrow down 8 times,then enter

then enter again

I would think if it finds the update you wont know so after a min. you would probly need to arrow right one time and then hit enter again

and then sit back and wait and hope i would give it some time at least 20 min

Has anyone tried this with a bricked unit ? 

It sounds almost plausible - would love to know. 

Tried everything.  Nothing works.:robotsad:

Any new idea?

did anyone try what I posted it seems people claim to try every thing but they seem to try everything they thought of rather than following stuff that people sugest and then posting they have tried everything so no one tries the advice .

When Iam really tring to help you guys out my unit is fine I did not do the update since the unit was working fine

wdliveddt wrote:

did anyone try what I posted it seems people claim to try every thing but they seem to try everything they thought of rather than following stuff that people sugest and then posting they have tried everything so no one tries the advice .

When Iam really tring to help you guys out my unit is fine I did not do the update since the unit was working fine

I tried every method that was suggested and followed the procedure step-by-step. This goes for your solution too. Nothing helps. I believe that if anything could be done with existing firmwares and methods somebody would already reported a successful un-bricking. So far no one has been able to restore their units in conventional way. Something went very wrong this time and WD techs have to come up with some other solution to this problem.

Well, I am glad I didnt up grade the fi-rm-wa r-e. But I believe TFTP can rescue your dead boxes. Can someone try this?

http://tftpd32.jounin.net/

Looks like they are trying to a"bleep" out any word with fi rm wa re! Weird! Why would they do that???

firmware

TEST

upgrade **bleep**

AHhh ok … so if you put anything after firmware it gets bleeped out.

u-p-g-r-a-d-e     f-i-r-m-w-a-r-e      XXXXX   =   **bleep**

We are looking in to the bleep issue - feel free to send me a private message (click my name) with any details about which words you are having problems with. Thanks!

-WendyM