WDTV Live to Soundblaster Audigy 2?

N00b question:

I want to play the WDTV Live in a room that has a PC that is already setup with a 5.1 surround system system.

WDTV Live —> PC/Soundblaster Audigy 2 —> 5.1 speakers.

Is it possible to get “digital surround sound” from the WDTV Live to the Soundblaster Audigy 2?

Edit: If this matters, my 5.1 system is setup/connected from the sound card’s three 3.5mm analog outputs: (1) front L/R, (2) center/subwoofer and (3) rear L/R.

Stealth3si wrote:

N00b question:

I want to play the WDTV Live in a room that has a PC that is already setup with a 5.1 surround system system.

WDTV Live —> PC/Soundblaster Audigy 2 —> 5.1 speakers.

Is it possible to get “digital surround sound” from the WDTV Live to the Soundblaster Audigy 2?

Edit: If this matters, my 5.1 system is setup/connected from the sound card’s three 3.5mm analog outputs: (1) front L/R, (2) center/subwoofer and (3) rear L/R.

Do you have optical IN on the Audigy?  If so, connect WD Live to it via Optical.  Please note that while this answers your question, I do not know anything about the capabilties of the sound card.  Ultimately the sound card will have to have support for recognizing the encoding of the optical signal.

The optical digital input only recognizes 2 channel stereo PCM.

I don’t know how to get the digital 5.1 out to the speakers, which are plugged to the back of the sound card’s 1/8" analogue outputs.