WDTV Live Streaming won't power down the USB hard drive

I just got a WDTV Live Streaming and when I eject the USB hard drive the power doesn’t turn off. Even when I turn off the WDTV the drive is still powered on. The older WDTV Live Plus didn’t have this issue. Does anyone know what is going on?

justme11… What kind of USB hard drive? I have a WD Mybook attached to WD Live Plus and it does not power down on  eject. cj

It’s a WD external USB 2.0 hard drive, I’m pretty sure it’s a MyBook. Shouldn’t it turn off if you eject it and especially if you turn off the WDTV? The only way to turn it off is by unplugging it which doesn’t seem right, especially since the older WDTV Live Plus didn’t have this issue.

The Live+ didn’t have a standby mode, the SMP does.

What does that mean? What’s the safe way to power off the hard drive?

When you turn off your WD SMP, the USB HDD attached to it will auto enter in standby mode.

When you eject the drive from WD SMP, then the HDD will be turned off.

When you complete power down your WD SMP, by holding power button on remote control for at least 5 seconds,

then the HDD will be turned off.

1 Like

I’ll try that out, thanks!

Yes, should be fine since the HDD is basically off.

For my WD Book, when its attached on computer:[not in WD SMP]

If i ejected it by windows icon, its eject the drive and put in Standby Mode.

If i ejected it by WDSnart drive icon, its eject the drive and Turn off the drive.

In both cases its good to disconect the drive from the computer [or other devices]

The important is to be ejected 1st, before to be disconnected from the device where its connected.