WDTV Live Streaming can't see PC after Windows 8.1 update

Description

I've had this media player for awhile now and usually manage to figure out most problems and ignore the rest if they're not really important. However I recently upgraded from Win 7 to Win 8 and everything seemed fine. Then I updated to Win 8.1 and next time I started up the WDTV live I couldn't see my Win 8.1 pc. I could still see my wifes Win 8 pc and my other Win 7 pc no problem. I thought maybe my Bitdefender did an update and was blocking so I disabled the firewall but no luck seeing Win 8.1 pc. I can see my shares on other pc's and I've even gone through and re-shared them but they still don't show up. Any help would be appreciated. My firmware is the latest, hasn't changed in over 6 months.

Tried power cycling, reset.

Have you tried a complete reboot of your home network and devices connected to it?  If not, turn off modem and router and all PC’s, media players, and other devices connected to it.  Once all is off, restart modem, router, and main PC.  Then you can turn on all other devices.   GIve each device time to fully boot up before moving to the next one.

Thanks mike27oct I have tried this individually befor but not all together so I’ll give this a try tonight. One other thing I forgot to mention is that I have no problem accessing the shares on the PC using my tablet. PC is wired and tablet is of course wireless.

Blackskull wrote:

Thanks mike27oct I have tried this individually befor but not all together so I’ll give this a try tonight. One other thing I forgot to mention is that I have no problem accessing the shares on the PC using my tablet. PC is wired and tablet is of course wireless.

• *> * * *
      Blackskull wrote:

Often this is the case with other folks, too, and why I suggested to shutdown the whole enchilada to get rid of all grimlins lurking in the network.  Start from scratch.  Let us know how it goes.  Remember to give each device time to be fully booted before moving to the next.

Well I tried what was suggested but can not see pc under windows shares. I found out however if I disabled port scan in bitdefender I was able to play to the wdtv from my pc. Not sure it’s a good idea to disable port scan. Still looking for a solution. Can’t figure why it was working before and not now. Also wdtv live hangs searching for windows shares.

Well, that **bleep**x.  I’ll ask some of the resident experts to jump in and help.  Hang in there.

Maybe check your Sharing Permissions on the Win 8.1 PC. Mine changed when I did the 8.1 update.

I’ll give that a try.

Well I deleted all my shares and recreated 2 new ones but still nothing. I received an email from wd support offering some ideas and a call if non of them works. I’ll post back here once I have done this. Thanks to everyone for posts so far.

Well after hours of web search and trying many things I finally found the solution that works every time I lose my network shares. I haven’t found a way to prevent losing the shares but at least the solution is fairly quick and works every time. What I came up with was any time my pc rebooted it lost the status of being the Master Browser  and the wd media player became the master browser and therefore I would lose all my shares. The way to fix this was to un-plug the media player power and leave it unplugged for about 5 minutes and check to see which pc was the master browser. It will take a few minutes to show and you have to check each pc on your network and in your workgroup to see who is the master browser and once one of them is showing as master browser ypu can plug the media player back in. Finally my frustration is put to bed and I can once again enjoy using the media player. Below is a link explaining the steps to check for master browser. Thanks again to all here who replied and tried to help me.

http://scottiestech.info/2009/02/14/how-to-determine-the-master-browser-in-a-windows-workgroup/

Blackskull wrote:

Well after hours of web search and trying many things I finally found the solution that works every time I lose my network shares. I haven’t found a way to prevent losing the shares but at least the solution is fairly quick and works every time. What I came up with was any time my pc rebooted it lost the status of being the Master Browser  and the wd media player became the master browser and therefore I would lose all my shares. The way to fix this was to un-plug the media player power and leave it unplugged for about 5 minutes and check to see which pc was the master browser. It will take a few minutes to show and you have to check each pc on your network and in your workgroup to see who is the master browser and once one of them is showing as master browser ypu can plug the media player back in. Finally my frustration is put to bed and I can once again enjoy using the media player. Below is a link explaining the steps to check for master browser. Thanks again to all here who replied and tried to help me.

http://scottiestech.info/2009/02/14/how-to-determine-the-master-browser-in-a-windows-workgroup/

Glad to hear you figured out a fix. I have recently been coming across a similar issue where first my HUB takes over the MB, and then if I shut it off, my SMP takes it. Your solution by turning off the WD will trigger and election and one of your PCs will take over and you are back in action. Possibly a simple re-boot of your PC will accomplish the same thing,

The link you provided is excellent, and the lanscan tool is a great utility. It has saved me a ton of time searching for the MB a the command line. I would highly advise anyone with a SMP or a LiveHUB to grab the LanScan utility at the link Blackskull provided and use it to figure out what machine is the MB. Most issues with shares seem to be attributed to MB issues.

Thanks for sharing the info

-P

@Blackskull

Congrats for figuring out the nefarious master browser issue!  I am happy for you, but disappointed in myself and some of the other regulars here that we did not catch on to your MB problem right away.  I actually posted Scottie’s web page here long ago.  I, and others have written a good bit about the master browser problem, so search the forum for other threads.

Two things I have mentioned recently when discussing the master browser.  The best master browser to have is one’s router, because it is on 24/7, unlike PCs and other devices  – if it can be set that way. 

Two ways to make it happen, are:

1. some routers actually have a setting to make it the master browser (usually in the LAN settings).  Current WD routers give this as a choice.

2. Luck out and have it happen automagically.  I have a current Asus router that accepts a hard drive attached to its USB port.  Well, a few months ago I connected a portable drive with media to the router, (so the drive acts as a NAS) and to my surprise and delight, the router has taken over as master browser 24/7 now.  Go, figure.  So, if it is possible with your router to do it, give it a try.  My problems with the master browser are long gone, because the drive is permanently attached to router. If I remove the drive from router, my MB problems return, and Scottie’s lanscan program can detect that.

Thanks for the info Mike27, I have tried several times shutting everything down except the router and seeing if it will take over as mb but was unsucessful so I’ll try and see if there is a setting in my router(2wire 3801 RG ) to set it as mb or if I can connect my nas to my router via usb.

@mike27oct

the current line of Asus routers have the option to force master browser

if I remember correctly

it’s under the smb server settings

tabbed interface for ftp, smb,dnla, etc … last tab I think is Miscellanious

it will be on that tab and does require a usb drive to be shared out

Thanks KAD79, I found it under USB appl/Server Center, etc.  I believe that when I connected the HD to the router it completed this action automagically for me, because I never did anything in here.  I do see the setting for Enable DLNA Media Server  is ON.