WDTV Live rev3 new DNS slowdown then lockup

Hi
i have a WDTV Live rev3 and use it for things like hulu and netflix
i use a DNS provider and have had no problems for years

but a few days ago i changed to a new DNS provider and get a strange problem

when i input the new DNS numbers in the box all is okay and it works for about 15 mins
then ether using it or when not using the box with it sitting on the start screen showing the time and temp
it slows down then locks up needing the plug to be pulled

this only happens with the new DNS providers DNS numbers in the box
if i use the old one or even let the box get them from the isp it works as it always did

the slowdown is abut 15 to 20 minutes after the DNS input and even after a restart and not used

all i can think off is maybe a incompatibility in the network communication between the box and the DNS servers
and maybe the ram filling with errors or a large log file filling it up

i didn’t know a DNS could do this and i’m confused

can anyone help me with this?

To add to this
I have just played Netflix for 30+ mins and got no slowdown so it seems to be when on the start screen or when its not being used

Hi there,

I have not tried this, but lets see if another user can share some information or tips on this matter.

That behavior is known to happen whenever WD stops offering a configuration-file necessary for the services.

A few days ago WD stopped offering that file, causing WDTVs to repeatedly request the file every second, which due to a bug in that feature cause the lockups and slowdowns.

Apparently WD fixed this problem a short while ago, and now it’s working properly again.

See Cause Freezing found! WD, PLEASE PUT THIS SITE BACK ON LINE ASAP! for more information.

1 Like

Wow thanks you schwurbel I bet that’s it
though why it only did it on my new DNS provider I don’t kow it may have been timing

but yes a the moment all is well even with the new DNS

I could block the address in the router but if I turn on blocking or redirecting on in the router Technicolor TG582n fibre my internet slows to 25meg half the speed

Downgrading to firmware 2.01.86 would help too, but I don’t know if Netflix works with that version.

At the moment all is well so I will keep the firmware
one thing I did was turn of things like look for new firmware and auto detect wifi
and at the time thought this might fix it

one thing I could do to block the website is use my isp’s online filter
is on the isp’s side and not on my router

I just googled my router and its a bug causing it to slow if filtering is on
I need a new router :yum: