WDTV Live Restarting

WD Staff Toretto

All that needs changing is the UPnP settings in the Superhub, setting it to the highest value possible (1440 minutes) makes the WD stable enough, turning off UPnP in the Superhub would completely cure the restarts -  but I would rather not do that.

Good to know your looking into it :wink:

Hi,

I have tried different hdmi cables and optical toslink cable, problem remains. I have tried connecting WD TV Live  through my AV receiver and directly to my TV, the problem still remains.
I have adjusted the settings on the WD TV Live, different resolutions, auto, 1080p etc… even the deep colour mode settings, auto play on and off, screensaver on and off, the problem remains!
It only happens when connected to the network, if I disconnect the network and use a USB stick, no problems.
I adjusted the UPnP settings on my Virgin Media Super Hub as suggested on this thread and the problem seems to have gone. Earlier today I decided to completely turn off the UPnP on the Super Hub and the problem seems to have gone! I have left the WD running non stop for about 9 hours now and it hasn’t re-booted at all!
Thanks for your help.

Kind regards

Hayden

Hi WD Staff Toretto

Update: have just found out that some of the Samsung networked Blue Ray Players are also having problems with the Superhubs, changing the Superhubs UPnP settings also helps them as well. 

I’ve accepted the uPnP fix for now, I know it isn’t a fix so to speak, but a work around is better than nothing til this issue is fixed.

Cheers!

We are going to to collect logs from individuals effected by the UPnP issue with the SuperHub.  Unfortunately we cannot get the SuperHub here in the US, otherwise it may be easier to fix.

WD Staff Toretto

Could someone please PM me the instructions to get the logs on my WDTV Live, I’ve had an email requesting the logs - but the instructions to do it were for a Hub and not for the Live.

thanks for this thread - this problem has been driving me mad.

Virgin media the source of all ills, again!

I have switched off upnp - set the player to play and it did from 5pm til 8pm tonight, no restarts - and it is continuing to do so.

Last night, before the fix, it restarted during a film 3 times and a tv programme once.

Thanks!!!

If it helps, I’ve been having exactly the same problem with a LaCie LaCinema Classic HD.  It had worked well for over a year then after I upgraded to a Virgin Media superhub last month (though I didn’t make the connection initially), I started to get random resets of the unit.  It didn’t matter whether the LaCinema was in standby, playing a movie from its hard drive, a USB stick, whether the file sharing or media server was enabled in the LaCinema - it would randomly reset if it was connected to the LAN via the superhub (whether wired or wireless).  Disconnect it from the network though and the problem went away, specifically disable UPnP in the superhub and the problem went away.

Same thing here, VERY annoying, I think I will rollback 2 levels and see if it improves and then go up 1 level etc. and see what happens. Hopefully it will be resolved in the NEXT update.

Changed my SuperHub settings… Fingers crossed.

My box is turning itself on as well though, could that be down to the UPNP?

Hope this resolves it :slight_smile:

I had the same problem and I changed the Superhub setting a while ago AND it has never happened since. Good luck to all.:wink:

2 days now and the box hasn’t turned itself on… about to watch some TV, let’s hope no reboots :slight_smile:

Another person here with the so called Super Hub.

I’ve been happily using my WD TV Live for months. Got the hub a week ago, and been having reboot problems ever since. Luckily a friend found this and pointed me here. I have increased the uPnP value to the maximum, and I suspect that will solve my problem.

The so called Super Hub didn’t work for two hours after Virgin installed it. But mysteriously has worked ever since. Speaks volumes!

To WD Technical Support:

I have spent 2 days diganosing this problematic reboot with the WD LIVE.  The bug in the firmware exists on 1.05/and 1.06 branches.

Going back 2 revisions on the firmware to 1.04 resolves the issue.

What the issue is:  UPnP…  In the latest firmware releases, when entering the MEDIA SERVER browsing on the device, you send out 4 consecutive SEARCH UPNP packets for MEDIASERVER devices.  You do this, every 1 second at a minimum and dont stop.  Because of this, you get literally hundreds then thousands of REPLIES from devices.

It seems your UDP buffer is blowing up because of all the fast responses your getting, and can not process.  By scrolling in the MEDIASERVERS you can force the box to reboot 100% of the time.

You need to delay sending your M-SEARCH packets, by at least 5-10 seconds, as devices have up to 3 seconds to respond.  

FIX THIS BUG !!!

The device is 100% unusable in any fashion if your using DLNA.

If you would like to contact me, I can provide more specific details.

developer / @ / noknok / .net

Also - if your listening…

Would be nice if you accepted a LOCATION: [Deleted]

Which was NOT on the local subnet.  I have remote DLNA servers in the cloud, which a utility broadcasts them in my local network.  GoogleTV, PlugPlayer, Boxee, WMS, XBOX, PS3 all accept them and work perfectly, but the WD LIVE requires the LOCATION header in the SSDP message to be a LOCAL IP on the same subnet…

Just saying would open a lot of useful stuff

How many devices do you have that would cause THOUSANDS of responses?   I have 6 DLNA servers on my network and never had this happen…

Do a wireahark capture if you can…

Simple, I have about 10 DLNA devices, then in my office I have over 50 computers all responding to DLNA requests.

But at home, the WD NAS sends out 4 consecutive M-SEARCH Requests every secondt.  Each DLNA Device receiving a request must respond to that request 3 times, gapped by 200ms.  So the first series sent out by WD, gets back 10 devices x 3 responses x 4 requests from the WD = 120 responses in the first round.  then every second thereafter same thing.  So the WD is getting inandated, or something has changed in how they are handling these messages, because with 4 different WD’s I can reproduce this EVERY time.

Again, reverting to 1.04 branch, this does not happen.