WDTV Live Plus not working on one tv

Yesterday, I bought a WDTV Live Plus and on one tv I cannot get HDMI to work. I have gotten the device to work via HDMI on two other tvs, except for my Sharp 22" LCD (lc22dv24u). I have used three different HDMI cables and verified the HDMI port did work on this TV by hooking up a xbox via HDMI successfully. Has anybody else encountered a problem similar to this?

Welcome to the forums.

When in auto mode there is handshaking that is done via the HDMI cable that not all TVs will do with the Live.  Try putting the HDMI into a manual resolution you know works on your TV.

If that doesn’t work it may be one of the TVs the Live doesn’t do HDMI with (we know there are a few LG TVs that don’t work).

Yes, I have the same problem with HDMI going to a slightly different sharp TV (LC-26DV24U).  It works fine a different TV using the same cable.  My sharp TV only supports resolutions up to 720P and I have tried to manually set it to that (and also lower resolutions) but the WD Live Plus doesn’t seem to even recognize that there’s an HDMI cable connected when it’s on the Sharp.  I agree that it’s some kind of hand shaking issue and maybe they can fix it from the WD side.  Until then it’s back to component outs.

I have also tried setting the HDMI resolutions manually but with no success. Hopefully, this can be fixed in the next firmware update. If the Live Plus does not work on multiple TVs via HDMI, isn’t this a pretty significant bug? What is the chance that we will see a fix in the next firmware release?

I’ve heard that they know of an HDMI issue with LG and Samsung, but given that a few people with Sharps have reported issues, it’s probably best if you CALL WDC and tell them.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

I’ve heard that they know of an HDMI issue with LG and Samsung, but given that a few people with Sharps have reported issues, it’s probably best if you CALL WDC and tell them.

i’ve noticed recently that my LIVE with BETA firmware is acting up as well.  the odd time, i power it on, the light comes on, but NO start up screen, nothing.  then i unplug it and plug it back in and it works fine.

it used to work PERFECTLY, so perhaps it’s a bug with the BETA firmware.

Well, I took your suggestion and filed a ticket.  After a couple of back-and-fourths (reset the player, test something else in the HDMI port) I finally got this response…

We have escalated this issue to our engineering department for further review and possible duplication. If engineering is able to duplicate the issue and determine the root cause of the problem any fix would likely come in the form of a firmware update. Engineering does not provide a schedule as to when a firmware release will occur or what features may be fixed or added.

If you are unable to wait for a firmware update that may correct this issue, we would recommend returning your unit to the place of purchase for a refund.

I hope that we have met your expectations today and that you are satisfied with our service. If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

So, I gotta hand it to them… it’s pretty straight forward… “Hey will look into it and might even fix it at some unspecified date.  In the meantime, either deal with it or take it back.”  I actually appreciate the honesty.

I noticed with my Samsung (720p) that I don’t use that often I was getting a picture but simpily connected it back to my other setup with my Panny and reconfiged the HDMI to 720p and APPLIED this change to amek sure it didn’t default back and then back to the Sammy it worked-  Also make sure you have the right input selected-  my wife was calling me about no picture but had ti connected in HDMI slot 2 so she just had to input til she got the right one.

As I said earlier, I already applied thr 720p setting.  The player just ignores it and resets to composite.  The player wants a piticular handshake or it simply won’t ouput to the port.  And yeah, I know how to select the HDMI port on my TV. :wink:

I got a similar reply when I emailed them the other day, but it wasn’t as detailed.

We apologize for any inconvenience that you might be facing at this moment.

At this moment no known issues have been reported about this case in this model of TV set. A notification has been sent to the Engineering Department to study this case.

If a solution is worked around it will be posted on our web page. 

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.