WDTV Live Plus Limited Public Beta 1.03.39_B (9/9/10)

Dear Developers !!!

"Resolved issues:

Resolved various user interface translation issues."

Hahahahahahaha !!! Is that a Joke or an Abyss of Ignorance?

In the english User Interface Video Settings: 8 Bit

In the german User Interface Video Settings: 8 bisschen.  That is incorrect !!! It mean in english Translation “little bit”. Many Betas and many void Promises. Your since ignorant and incapably and your “human” Translator is named Babelfish.

WDTV-USER:   Did it say ALL?

WD TV Live has a bug in controlling IR commands.

I have an expensive  Logitech Harmony remote.

Earlier my “Custom” button worked great, but no more after upgrading to the beta version. What my custom button does, it presses FF and then NEXT and then PLAY. The video should skip 10 minutes, but nothing happens. This still works when typed manually and slowly.

Can you please WD look in to this, thx. :cry:

Edit: Sorry, I posted this to wrong thread

It’s unlikely they will see this message this far down in the thread.

I have a Harmony as well but I haven’t tried the beta (as usual my philosophy is “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” and since everything works fine for me I didn’t update).  If you try reprogramming your commands, using the learning mode, what happens then?

mkelley wrote:

It’s unlikely they will see this message this far down in the thread.

I have a Harmony as well but I haven’t tried the beta (as usual my philosophy is “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” and since everything works fine for me I didn’t update).  If you try reprogramming your commands, using the learning mode, what happens then?

Oops, wrong thread. I was going to post this to the other thread but mixed up my browser tabs…

For the update I will thow the older firmware back. :slight_smile:

Hi everyone, I am having issues with this BEta release. I plugged in my USB with the new version and started the upgrade process, after the screen said rebooting it turned off and on, but then the Western Digital logo came up for about a minute and nothing happens. THe screen is black with the power light ON. I tried resetting the unit but still no luck. Any ideas what might have caused this?

ANy help would be appreciated.

Hook up your wdtv with composite cables if you are having issues installing the firmware.

I had the same issue as another user when using HDMI (Panasonic P42S2 TV).  I thought I had bricked the unit but the upgrade worked when using composite cables.

This is really frustrating! I bought this device specifically for Netflix, and even after this update, it won’t work. I still get the “Cannot connect to Netflix.” error. I have tried every tip that I’ve found on here to no avail. Does anyone know of anything that actually works? Please help!

MRoyse:  I’m working with you on another thread that you posted this to, so let’s let this thread die.

Hello. Yes, you mentioned that a new firmware prerelease would be available for the WDTV LIve a couple of weeks ago. Did I miss out on this?

Thanks,

Jonathan

This firmware update solved both of my issues.

My mp4’s now play properly and my Linksys AE1000 adapter is working perfectly.

Thank you WD!

i lost my hdmi output. i’m going to try and rollback.

Had Netflix issues last night (October 3 2010), but it seems that Netflix itself was “down”:

From  a Roku forum below:

Same issue as others. Netflix is down on all devices: Roku, Xbox, and PC. Clearly nothing to do with Roku.

Called Netflix tech support and they admitted a server outage right off. No attempt to run me through hoops doing busy-work power cycles, no quibbling, no blame game, no “clear your cookies”, and no “What browser are you using”. Just honest, respectful “it’s us, it’s a significant server outage, and we’ve got a whole team working on it as fast as we can”. I’m annoyed that it is out, but it was certainly refreshing that they treated me with respect and fessed-up.> * * *

Lastly:

• Any thoughts on when the Beta will go to Production ?

• Why does my keyboard work fine for all things Netflix EXCEPT actually playing the movie by pressing Enter ?

Thanks - H

I am a fairly new WDTV Live+ user.  I used the stock firmware (29b) for a couple of days.  I wanted to get a feel for it before I upgrade the firmware.  But since my primary use is Netflix, and the new firmware is said to “fix some Netflix frame problem,” I decided to go for it.

These are my observations

• Initial set up was a breeze, no issue.

• I test with a wireless bridge for initial set up, just to learn the machine before I introduce other unknowns.  (So, WDTV thinks it is hardwired)  No technical issues at all!  Smooth sailing all the way.  (Tiny fonts make things difficult, but that is not a technical problem I suppose.

• After a week or so, I went with the Rosewill USB WiFi, no problem with set up at all.

• Netflix has been very stable for me.

• Netshare folder play DVD-ISO has been very stable for me.

• DVD-ISO works very well.  I only have ONE (commercially produced) DVD navigation with menu that does not work.  (The same ISO works well with my laptop.)

• This little box is almost exactly what I am hoping for.

Now the less positive:

• I really was unhappily surprised that I cannot do 480i component!  I am stuck on composite, not even SVideo.

• Color is not as bright as my cheap $29 DVD player, but good enough that I am satisfied.

• Entering password and number is a pain.

• I sure like to see what DVD chapter I am on.

• I sure like to have a [menu] key on the remote.

• I sure miss the $29 DVD player feature: press any number key on my DVD remote and I get to that chapter.  For example, I press [1][7] on my remote and I get to chapter 17.

• I sure would like an “add on” extra-feature remote with a Treo/Blackberry like mini keyboard.

• Almost show-stopper negative - tiny fonts!  I have to get off the chair and walk very very close to the TV to see the darn fonts.  Rather defeats the purpose of remote.

Other observations:

• Without forums like this, I would have a hard time setting the network share password! With help from elsewhere in this forum: (1). Clear stored password, (2). Set auto logon to NO, (3) try connect and logon screen shows up (4) Logon and network folder should work. (5) Now go to auto logon so I don’t have to enter the darn ID/PW every time.

• Without forum like this, I would have a hard time finding out the sequence of how to make menu navigation work with VOB/IFO files stored into folders.  (Make sure all VOB/IFO files are stored in a folder name VIDEO_TS – and – go INTO the folder to play VIDEO_TS.VOB.  I had the movie names as folder names.  I needed to make sure under all my movie-named folders, I need create the VIDEO_TS folder and move all the files into that lonely folder.  That is why some of my files work (because I left it in VIDEO_TS folder).

(So, thanks a 1,000,000 to the helpful folks in this forum…)

Now Probably Bugs:

• For almost a week, I encountered no problems. . . Until I try to fast forward and rewind in Netflix.  That is when I encountered freezes AFTER I switch back to watching DVD-ISO.  It happens two or three times, almost always FF/REV in Netflix, then switch to ISO-DVD on network shared folders.

• Also after Netflix, I have some mpg files not playing.  BUT, after a shutdown/restart, the mpg file plays again – Even some jpg would not show!

I have not work out the exact sequence to reproduce these errors.  The flow however is firm.  It is after Netflix (mostly without finishing a movie, fast forward and reverse, can’t find the scene I want to see, gave up on that Netflix movie and go watch DVD on ISO or mpg, or jpg, then hit the issue).  So, I think there may be some memory leak problem or use of uninitialized variables (after Netflix set it to an interesting value) type of problem.

• (Not after playing Netflix) I have some old home video on DVD-ISO created using Roxio 7 DVD Maker (short intro and a menu).  It played well on regular DVD, but it is a black screen on WD.  But another with similar feature (intro, menu to a few clips) works!

All these issues I can live with — except the darn small fonts on the video list.  I have my video display in list form.  I can’t read the tiny font on the list.

Rick-in-NJ wrote:

Now Probably Bugs:

• For almost a week, I encountered no problems. . . Until I try to fast forward and rewind in Netflix.  That is when I encountered freezes AFTER I switch back to watching DVD-ISO.  It happens two or three times, almost always FF/REV in Netflix, then switch to ISO-DVD on network shared folders.

I have not work out the exact sequence to reproduce these errors.  The flow however is firm.  It is after Netflix (mostly without finishing a movie, fast forward and reverse, can’t find the scene I want to see, gave up on that Netflix movie and go watch DVD on ISO or mpg, or jpg, then hit the issue).  So, I think there may be some memory leak problem or use of uninitialized variables (after Netflix set it to an interesting value) type of problem. 

I also have problems with FF/REV, but not just with Netflix. Many times after using FF/REV, the WD box just freezes up and the only way to fix it is by un-plugging ac power and restarting (no response to any buttons on the remote). This happens more when I am using fast reverse. I have had this problem with netflix and also with mpeg files.

The freezing problem has occurred so many times that I am hesitant to use the FF/REV feature because it is such a PITA when the Live Plus hangs up… I have to remove the ac power, restart, key up the movie again, then I have to use fast forward to get to the point in the movie where it froze (and as I said, using FF is problematic to begin with, so I have to hope that the WD box does not freeze up again when trying to find the point in the movie where it froze up the first time).

Should I upgrade to the Beta Firmware or not?  I am not using Netflix.  I am interested to see the picture difference with the 12bit Color feature working, as I read it isn’t working with the orginal firmware.

What is the risk of adding the Beta, and should I do it…someone advise me.

Thanks.

You’re not likely to see any improvement or difference with 12bit color unless you have content that’s encoded in 12-bit color (no commercial sources I’m aware of do this.)

The risk is that at takes something that’s working perfectly well for you and makes it not work!  Particularly with HDMI, as that’s what these beta releases are tweaking.

I’m with Tony on this one.  If your videos are playing fine, don’t bother with the Beta.

12-bit color is not worth the risk, given there’s no actual benefit to enabling it (again, as Tony says, there’s no 12-bit movies or files available to test it and won’t be for a very long time).

Best to live by the maxim:  If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.  :)

Thanks, just thought I should ask before I take the plunge…

Not gonna take the plunge.

Thanks again.

I have loaded the firmware (.39 verions) on my WD TV Live Plus and have now connected to my recent;y purchased WD Livewire.  I have noticed a couple of issues that I would like to point out –

When the WD TV Live Plus video resolution is set to 1080p/60 i get flashes every 15 sec of so when playing back contain from Nextlifx.  I can tell if this is only when I am picking an HD show from Netflix or everything.  

I know this has been mentioned, but the fast forward/rewind sometimes works, sometimes doesn’t with on the latest firmware.

Ok, here is my big issue.  I stream videos from a pc through WD TV Live Plus’ Media Server.  However, while I am t connected via Ethernet through the Livewire, I also have Wireless-N running (same computer) for my phone, iPad, etc.  The WD TV Live Plus seems to get confused and freezes when both wifi and ethernet connections are enabled on the computer.  I have set it up as per the WD Livewire instructions.  Cable Modem => Router => WD Livewire => WD TV Plus.  Would it make a difference if I set it up the following way:  Cable Modem => WD Livewire and then WD Livewire to WD TV Plus and WD Livewire to Router separately?