WDTV Live Plus Dolby Digital 2.0 Issue from MKV

Hi,

I’m not sure if anyone else is having this issue & I apologize if I am posting in the wrong area, as I am new to the community.

I have a WDTV Live + running the newest firmware (1.05.04_B).  I have audio going out via optical toslink to a sony receiver.

Anyway,  DTS, Dolby Digital 5.1 (AC3) in movies (I use MKV as my container of choice) play just fine and the receiver recognizes the signal as DTS or Dolby Digital.  When I try to play a Dolby Digital 2.0 encoded movie - it gets outputted as PCM audio to the receiver.  The WDTV does recognize the audio track as Dolby Digital (when you get info through the option button it displays the track as Dolby Digital).

The strange thing is if I play the DVD rip I made the MKV from, the WDTV sends the DD 2.0 signal properly to the receiver. So the issue seems to be with DD 2.0 audio in a movie file. I’m guessing it has to do with how the WDTV handles AC3 passthrough - works OK for 5.1 AC3 in MKV files, but not for 2.0 AC3.

Is anyone else having this issue? Is this a known bug in this version of the firmware?

thanks!

Well, I’m trying to understand what you mean:    You say when you play a MOVIE, that it doesn’t work.   But if you play an MKV, it works.   What do you mean by MOVIE?

Either way, it’s not really a BUG, because PCM is just DD2.0 that’s already been decoded.  So you would likely hear the exact same thing if the WD is decoding it versus your receiver.