WDTV Live not loving MY BOOK Essential 2TB

Hi, I hope this is the right place?

I bought a My Book Essential 2TB to store movie files, music and pics to show through my WDTV Live but I’ll plug it in, it works - I power down at the end of the evening and then the following night I switch it on and my drives says it is empty…  I keep having to unplug it, run a scan on my pc then re-connect to WDTV.  I bought the larger 2TB so that I would only have to disconnect every month or so to update it, instead using another mobile hard drive for latest downloads.

I checked before I bought the My Book on WD forums and they recommended the My Book and said the WDTV could take two hard drives at once, so I’m a bit miffed… I probably haven’t been that clear and I apologise - I hope you can understand and help! :smiley:

Ta very much

Hayley

what firmware and player do you have?

this happened to me once but it only did it when I disconnected without ejecting the drive from the player

1 Like

Try other USB port of the player

Hi, I have the WDTV Live WDBAAP0000NBK-EESN model. The WDTV and my computer ejected the drive a couple of times of their own accord, then it started to ask for scans everytime it was plugged in.  Someone suggested a corrupt file that hadn’t been transferred properly, so I went through every single file and removed one that had not copied to the new drive successfully.  I tried on the other USB ‘mobile’ port too but still no joy.

My Book is now not showing on My Computer list either - although when I go to Device Manager it shows there and says the device is working fine?? 

After reading through many posts on this forum; I’m starting to see that this is a common problem with WDTV rejecting the drive but must admit I’m really annoyed as the My Book cost a lot more than other 2TB hard drives that I was looking at but thought I’d best stick to the WDTV recommendation.  I need to retrieve my files somehow from the drive and then think I will ask for my money back as it hasn’t done the job it promised.

:confounded: xx

go to disk managements and check if the drive will be listed there

Ooh, thanks for the speedy response.  :smiley:

It’s listed under the device manager and says the device is working properly but I can’t access it in my computer - how can I get to my files? x

I have two 3TB WD Essentionls drives on my WDTV SMP and they work well.  Because they power down when not used for a while they will appear empty untill they spin up and the SMP has a chance to mount them.  It seems to take about a minute unless the SMP has been powered off when it takes longer… 3 min or more?

Ooh, thanks for the speedy response. 

It’s listed under the device manager and says the device is working properly but I can’t access it in my computer - how can I get to my files? x

read again my latest post.

I have two 3TB WD Essentionls drives on my WDTV SMP and they work well.  Because they power down when not used for a while they will appear empty untill they spin up and the SMP has a chance to mount them.  It seems to take about a minute unless the SMP has been powered off when it takes longer… 3 min or more?

Mine WD My Book 1TB resume from standy for 5-10 seconds and its ready to use,

when i need to access it from network without the matter if my WD TV SMP is on or off.

[when WD TV SMP is off, its actually in standby.

If you need to  complete poweroff your WD TV SMP for some reason,

then you need to press and hold the remote button for at lelast 5 seconds.]

Yes, I did notice it would take quite a long time for the WDTV Live to recognise the device but after restarting, it wouldn’t recognise it at all - I left it for over an hour one day and several times over 20 mins but it didn’t appear.  It would only show up again after I had safely unplugged it and connected to the pc and ran a scan, then re-attached which defeated the purpose of having it.  However, it no longer shows on ‘My Computer’ of my laptop anymore, so I can’t access my files from there either.  After surfing the WD forum - this appears to be a common problem that no-one is willing to solve or admit to.  I’m taking the drive to my friend’s who is an IT expert on Friday to try on their computer, so I’ll know for sure if I’ve lost all my precious media.

I can’t begin to describe how disappointed I am with this product - it was supposed to make my life easier - it will be devastating if I’ve lost all my photographs and videos…

Absolutely hopping mad as phone support suggest that my data is corrupted (nothing wrong with it on my other hard drive that I transferred everything from until the My Book Essential kept ejecting itself I might add!!) and that I should PAY for data retrieval or just format my drive and lose everything…

Either way, no responsibility taken for what is apparently a ‘common problem’ !!

Livid

:angry: