WDTV Live no longer seeing external drive automatically

Hello, I’ve had my WDTV Live for about a month now. It’s got the latest official fimrware & I’m using a USB WD 320gb My Passport.

It has worked great for the most part up until last night. Now everytime I turn on my WDTV it doesn’t automatically see my HD (USB 1 or 2) I have to unplug or use the reboot pin button on the side. Then it loads fine, but if I turn it off and on again, again no local drive seen.

Weird eh?

Any idea how to fix this?

thanks

Welcome to the forums.

After you reset the Live (with the button on the side) try unplugging it from power for at least 15 minutes and see if that fixes things.

right on. I’m trying that now

thanks

tried that and still not working.

Also I should note that when I do unplug and reset it, when it does load up & I go to eject the drive it just hangs on the blue spinnin wheel

Is it a power issue? It’s only started happening since my drive has been over 250gb or perhaps its a certain file causing the issue?

this one is a head scratcher

thanks for any help you can give.

It might be building the media library.

Try turning that option off (if it’s on).  Also, erase the small WD file/folder on the root of that drive.

there’s a file in the folder that won’t delete. It’s a thumb for a folder that is no longer on the drive. I’m running a chkdsk on it now. (but it’s taking forever) I’ll reprt back when it finishes.

thanks

Well, that might be an issue right there.  Sounds like there’s some sort of disk issue (which would definitely hang up WDLive).

You may just need to reformat (you DO have your data backed up, right?)

looks like the scan is gonna take most of the night. so time will tell.

I don’t have my data backed up. Unfortunately my pc’s hard drive is only small as my pc is as old as the hills…a reason why I opted for a WDTV for my HD content.

oh well, we’ll see.

thanks again

Well, then you really need to buy another drive.  Seriously.

All drives fail – just like tires, it’s only a question of when, not if.  So if you don’t want to lose your data, you need to back it up and you need to do it NOW. 

Let’s just hope it’s not already too late (or you don’t mind recreating your data).

yeah I’d like to get one, but to be honest I don’t have anything too important on there…just movies & tv it’s all replacable.

But good news…CHKDSK worked!!! After doing that and an unplug reboot, everything is back to normal. Thank goodness :slight_smile:

And thanks for your help, it’s much appreciated!

Glad you got it working.

And let a man old enough to be your father (or older :>) nag at you one more time.  You may say “nothing too important” but you have to ask yourself how mad you’d be if tomorrow your drive was completely dead.  Drives are dirt cheap nowadays (even external ones – you can get 1.4TB for less than $100) and the piece of mind you’d get from this is amazing.

Just a thought – and best of luck to you.

:smileyvery-happy: point taken!

thanks man.

Once I’m able to afford another drive I’ll pick one up. I’m jobless at the moment so I’ve been keeping afloat by selling some of my vintage guitars.