WDTV Live loses component settings when power off

I had been using on HDMI TV with no issue, but recently moved my box to projector using component.

It will display 1080i fine, but as soon as turn off/back on, will revert to composite.

If I leave box on it is fine.  Have read other posts about this - seems cannot “force” manual settings to stay.  Using latest AU firmware.

Is there a fix for this issue aside from leaving box on 24 x 7?

Unfortunately, leaving the box on all the time is the best solution. However, even that does not work 100% of the time. Even when I leave the box on all the time, it sometimes changes the colorspace from RGB Low to YCbCr, all by itself while just sitting there at the home screen.

The problem is that the WD box does not remember the video settings when powered off/on. There have been a lot of posts about this issue. I have been posting about this problem for over a year now. Hopefully, WD will fix the problem in the next firmware release.

Please report the problem to WD through their normal problem reporting (not just here on this forum) so that they will know how widespread the problem is and give it a priority to fix.

Raised it with WD - here is response.

Unsure if replacing will fix?

==============

The media player should stay in the same resolution and keep the settings after you change any of those, 
if you have already updated the firmware and keep having the same issue then reset the media player back
to factory defaults as a last attempt, just go to setup, system settings, reset device, reset all settings to factory
defaults, the media player will restart and you can test if the problem persist.

If by any chance you continue to have the same problem unfortunately will have to replace the device, to create
a replacement authorization please click the link below:

Answer Title: How to get an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) or replace a defective product under warranty
Answer Link:  http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further. 

===============

Unfortunately, I think that you got the wrong answer from WD support. I do not think that another box would act any differently.

The problem of not remembering the video settings has been going on for as long as I have been on this board (over a year). There have been many posts about this issue. Here is a link to one of them. Note that on page 2 of this thread, BBBBBrandon (WD Staff) posted that “This should be resolved in the next release”. That would indicate that WD was aware of the problem and was trying to fix it.

Doesn’t remember video settings

As it turned out, the problem was not fixed in the next release (which is the current release). I am hoping that this issue will be fixed in the next firmware release. The answer you got makes it look as if WD is totally unaware of this issue. Let’s hope that is because of the 1st tier technical support.

EDIT: fixed the link that I posted above.

Hi,

have you guys read that issue got solved after the first firmware update on this device according to the release notes:

" 2.02.16      Resolved video output always displaying HDMI(Auto) after resetting the device"

besides that have you guys considered the fact the media player may be broken? Also sorry Scandy but the link you added to your last comment shows nothing i got this message:

“The page you are trying to access was not found. Please check your URL for typos and try again.”

in other words we have no way to confirm your answer, do you have any reliable proofs of your conversation with the Wd representative?

You should have in mind WD is a world class company with probably half of the customer in the market or more, with less than 1% on defective products. And I don’t see the happy customer writting over here, my suggestion to you guys is to contact WD directly for a solution and share it with us once you get it.

Sabrewulf wrote:

Hi,

have you guys read that issue got solved after the first firmware update on this device according to the release notes:

" 2.02.16      Resolved video output always displaying HDMI(Auto) after resetting the device"

besides that have you guys considered the fact the media player may be broken? Also sorry Scandy but the link you added to your last comment shows nothing i got this message:

“The page you are trying to access was not found. Please check your URL for typos and try again.”

Sabrewulf, you are incorrect about the firmware release, and you are incorrect that this issue has been fixed. This forum is for the Live/Live Plus. That firmware that you are quoting is for a different product. The issue has not been fixed for the Live/Live Plus.

I fixed the link that I posted above. Here it is again. Please read the post on page 2 that I refered to in my previous post above.

Doesn’t remember video settings

Sabrewulf, you only have 1 post. I have been an active member on this board for over a year now. I try hard to only post the facts. I have been following this problem for over a year now, and everything that I posted is true (to the best of my knowledge).

@Sabrewulf,

First post; you definitely shot yourself in the head when it comes to technical assistance.

I worked in the electrical and electronic servicing industry for 40 years. There are combinations of electronic equipment in circulation that are certified service centre confirmed working within manufacturers specifications and tolerances yet under certain combinations of electronic equipment, the equipment will misbehave or malfunction. Even the certified service centres and manufacturers cannot explain it.

The WDLXTV forum and AV forums also contain a number of technical debates that verify the issues posted on this site. Instead of making a broad product statement, Google, and spent some time reading the forum posts on the various AV forums, replicate and evaluate the facts.

Digital TV HDMI port handshaking are the main issues that people complain about. Scandy has experiences specific issues that I don’t experience. We both live in different countries using different pieces of equipment. There has been a comprehensive debate with many forum members over video issues and WD trying to replicate the various reported video issues. So far WD has not been able to replicate the reported issues.

There is a very simple procedure to verify that the WDTV Live is functional. Virgin rip a DVD and bluray disk, play the media though a USB drive attached to the WDTV Live and view the source on a HD HDMI digital TV.

If the source material plays then the box works. If the video signal is not displayed correctly then there are adjustments using the WD and TV remotes to correct the issues. Unfortunately there are many reported issues where the WDTV Live will not work on one digital TV but will work on another. All the HDMI ports on all the digital TV’s and WDTV Live have been verified as working correctly, confirming that all the equipment is functionally compliant within the manufacturer’s specifications and tolerances.

Networking the source to the WDTV Live is another issue. There are too many hardware components and combinations to verify that all the hardware sold on the market works reliably with every combination.