WDTV Live Limited Public Beta 1.03.38_V (8/11/10)

Problem:  when accessing media server or network shares, select any video (mostly mkvs, but 3-5 mp4 and avi files), playback is normal.  If the playback is paused, and resumed within 5 minutes or so, playback resumes as normal.  If the video is paused for >~10 minutes, then playback resumes for <15 seconds and freezes.  Exit playback (by pushing stop or back)- and resume playback is normal. Existed on 1.03.35 as well

Equipment : (Synology DS-210j, D-Link DGS-2205)

This is true for me with the firmware as shipped, too.  I no longer use pause.  I just stop and start instead.  : )

I’m using a DS409 to feed the beast.

Hi bill_s how can i rollback the firmware version of my wd tv live, from  wdtvlive_1.03.35 beta to the 1.02.21 (3/30/10)?

Thks

Change the VERSION= of the wdtvlive.ver from your .21 firmware to any number > 1.03.35.

I don’t know how long I’ve been ignoring that “new firmware found” alert when I start my Live, but every time I see it I wonder when this Beta is going to get finalized. Is there actual progress being made? Has it been abandoned in favor of making the Plus the one-and-only supported unit?

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Oops… I think I posted in the wrong thread. Lots of Betas out there. This Beta version  is obsolete now, isn’t it? Shouldn’t this thread be closed?

This is the latest officially released Beta.

The link for 1.03.39 was PM-ed / emailed to a limited number of users to pinpoint issues, then subsequently leaked.  There was no official thread regarding it.

The link for 1.03.40 was again PM-ed / emailed to a limited number of users to test against one specific issue, then subsequently leaked.  There was no official thread regarding it.  An unofficial thread was closed by Bill, who explained that .40 was not intended for wide release.

Then several other .40 threads were made because some people apparently don’t visit forums enough to know it’s generally not ok to re-create a closed thread.

So yes, this is the latest Beta thread.  Personally, I’m not planning on testing 1.03.40 because WD have not asked us to do so, nor is it clear if they’re even monitoring the “unofficial” threads regarding it.

Im sorry but i didn t quite understod ur explanation!!

U are saying to manualy edit the file wdtvlive.ver and change the script inside from

VERSION=‘1.03.35_V’
LOCATION=‘wdtvlive.bin’
PKG_LOCATION=‘wdtvlive.pkg’

to this

VERSION=‘1.03.22_V’
LOCATION=‘wdtvlive.bin’
 ?

Please clarify like i was i 2 year old child:-)

diogoni wrote:

Im sorry but i didn t quite understod ur explanation!!

U are saying to manualy edit the file wdtvlive.ver and change the script inside from

VERSION=‘1.03.35_V’
LOCATION=‘wdtvlive.bin’

to this

VERSION=‘1.03.22_V’
LOCATION=‘wdtvlive.bin’
 ?

Please clarify like i was i 2 year old child:-)

You wanted to downgrade to 1.02.21 firmware from 1.03.35. Therefore you have to edit the ver file of the 1.02.21 firmware.

Download the firmware from here.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_live

Open the ver file and change from  VERSION=‘1.02.21’ to VERSION=‘1.03.45’ using notepad.

The new number just fools the WDTV into firmware upgrade mode and has no further meaning (It just has to be a number greater than the existing firmware). The firmware will be replaced with 1.02.21.

jpg & png folder icons/pictures

Due to a misunderstanding, some folder.png files were renamed to folder.jpg (rather than converted to jpg’s). These files were on a Shared folder (Amahi server).

The wdtv would not show the folder images, as expected. Yet when these files were selected to be displayed (played), the wdtv would attempt to play them, fail with a invalid format message and then exit.

From that point onwards until a reset (hard or soft) could be performed, each operation (menu selection, exit, file selection etc) would cause several screen flashes as if the wdtv was attempting to resync the HDMI at each operation.

Cheers,

davidjmurray wrote:

Due to a misunderstanding…

Wow, that’s the best excuse I’ve heard for the Live’s problems since I bought the thing!

WD TV Live has a bug in controlling IR commands.

I have an expensive  Logitech Harmony remote.

Earlier my “Custom” button worked great, but no more after upgrading to the beta version. What my custom button does, it presses FF and then NEXT and then PLAY. The video should skip 10 minutes, but nothing happens. This still works when typed manually and slowly.

Can you please WD look in to this, thx. :cry:

Hi, 

When I go after turning on to video\network shares\ and choose my Zyxel nsa-200 the WD almost always freezes in “connection” status. Then I push “back” buttom on my remote controller to get back in to the menu. There is a workaround here… If I go to Youtube first then WD always connects to network shares .

Why doesn’t someone close this thread, if this beta has been replaced by 1.03.40???

TheTooleMan wrote:

Why doesn’t someone close this thread, if this beta has been replaced by 1.03.40???

It has not been replaced by 1.03.40. That was not meant to be a general release. You will note that the 1.03.40 thread was started by a user and not by WD. This is the last general beta release for the Live.

WHEN WILL THE FINAL VERSION BE RELEASED !!!    

veda2810 wrote:

WHEN WILL THE FINAL VERSION BE RELEASED !!!    

When its ready.

And probably also no moment sooner than people quit using colors for emphasis.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

@whattheheck:

The DVD Navigation features required a new SDK from Sigma.  WD has already said that during the first 1.03 beta.

Must have overread this, also in this thread. So do you happen to know if this also applies to MKV? Cause as with DVDs the LIVE ignores default stream commands and simply plays the first audio/subtitle ignoring the flags in the file.

No, THAT bad behavior has existed forever.   I think even in the original WDTV HD’s.

Forced and Default flags are ignored.