WDTV Live - Invalid User Password again (intermittently) with 1.6.13

Hi Folks

I had to reset my firmware back several months back  to 1.6.13 after losing my network shares with the lates 2.01.86 release

I never lose my network shares after  moving back to 1.6.13 but still have the annoying issue where I get the invalid user id/password and have to reboot the pc so that the ID and password are correct. 

I have absolutely no firewall software and have no Live MSE Essentials. Plus all the ids on my ‘shares’ have been correct and active for months and even in some cases years.  And remember in most cases and most times they work.  But then suddenly (and with no pattern such as rebooting or restarting a pc) the Invalid user name and password pops up and ends up being a problem until restarting the ‘offending’ pc. 

Now I’m wondering if multiple WDTV Live boxes play nice with each other in a Windows network.  I have named each box uniquely so name shouldn’t be an issue. 

Is there anybody who can redirect to a forum entry that describes how to get past this annoying issue.  Otherwise I’ve had these boxes for over 2 years and they support the widest breadth of audio and video formats 

thx

JRF

Whenever I am asked for password I do this - select username and delete what ever is there and submit it, do the same for password, it then lets me access shares.

Cheers

This happened again today and I tried clearing out the remembered password and id.   That still came up with the invalid id and password

Then I cleared out all network share remembered info.  Still same problem

Any other suggestions

JRFishman wrote:

Any other suggestions

Bring down all of the devices on your network. Boot Computers first, get them on line and wait a minute or so for them to announce themselves on the network. Then boot your WD device. 

Boot order seems to solve a lot of networking issues.

-P

Thanks Pearl

But I’ve done this and don’t want to do this each time I get the invalid id/password message.  No other application or smartphone/tablet app has this issue other than WDTV.  

Understood. Out of curiosity though, does that fix the issue, and if so for how long? Could give us more info to go on.

-P

Yes this will fix the issue but it will reoccur.  I can’t find the pattern that causes this

I’m having the same issues you are JRFishman…

What if this logon issue is some odd bug from upgrading to the ‘latest firmware’ then downgrading to 1.6.13???

This is the only logical conclusion I can up with??? I can’t prove it but these network issues with this WD box are becoming a real pain.

If you do a reset of the device there should be no weird setting ‘spilling over’ from another firmware version.

Most of the issues are caused by improper set up, because Windows (and WDs) like for thihgs to be correct.

So, for password issues, shares, etc see this link that can likely fix one’s issues:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/How-to-resolve-quot-Network-shares-quot-access-problems-with/td-p/671513

I had this problem with other firmware versions before 1.6.13. I am sure that this has nothing to do with the move from 2.01.86 to 1.6.13. 

Mike

I have a WDTV Live not a Live Plus.  I wanted to try your method for using no passwords and no ids.  But I can not find the Auto Login setting in WDTV Live under Network settings

How do I set auto login in WDTV Live? 

Also could these issues be related to have multiple WDTV Live Boxes. I have three that are uniquely named but thought that could introduce a fly into the ointment

Thanks

Jeff

me >>>   select auto logon (if your model WDTV has this option; otherwise ignore).

I said this because not all units have this choice (it is the default) so my LivePlus has it, the SMP doesn’t.

you>>>  Also could these issues be related to have multiple WDTV Live Boxes. I have three that are uniquely named but thought that could introduce a fly into the ointment

No, in fact you HAVE to have unique names, otherwise how could other devices (incl you) tell them apart?  My original WDLIVEPLUS  is called exactly this, my second one is called WDLIVEPLUS2.  problem solved.  You actually can call them anything, e.g. LivingroomWD and BedroomWD.

I wish I could implement the no password/no id solution but the WDTV Live doesn’t have the Auto Login option