WDTV Live Hub Will Not Boot

Hello,

So I’ve read the 29 page thread regarding the Hub not booting, but mine is not doing the “SOS” flash. However the other symptoms are the same. It will only start after I unplug and plug it back in then when it starts up the WD Screen comes up and says “loading” then it just clicks off. Tried resetting, same thing. Can’t get it to boot up. I updated to the latest firmware even though I don’t use MLB.tv. This just started happening last night. Are my two choices RMA and return or the opening and disconnecting the power button? Anything else I can try? This is really frustrating. I have tons of data on the hard drive.

Worked fine yesterday morning. Then at night just started doing this out of the blue.

Those two are your only options. The power switch’s circuit board is causing the problem so either have your hub replaced or disconnect the defective part.

Here’s the problem with disconnecting the power button. My remote has never been able to turn on the Hub. Power and back button never worked on the remote. Isn’t that odd? Disconnecting the power button appears very simple to do. Is there no fire danger with it disconnected?

BKSeattle wrote:

Here’s the problem with disconnecting the power button. My remote has never been able to turn on the Hub. Power and back button never worked on the remote. Isn’t that odd? Disconnecting the power button appears very simple to do. Is there no fire danger with it disconnected?

You can try to clean the flux from the power switch PCB. If you are careful you may be able to get the Hub working with the power switch connected. Just don’t use anything sharp to clean the flux or you may damage the PCB tracks.

What is flux and what is a PCB? Thanks.

BKSeattle wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldering#Flux

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printed_circuit_board

BKSeattle wrote:

Sorry for the jargon. If you have opened the Hub and removed the small board that the power switch is connected to look at the back of the board where the switch contacts are. The switch contacts should look silver. If you can see a brownish residue around the switch contacts that is the flux. If there is too much flux around the switch contacts it can stop the switch functioning properly. If you use something like a wooden or plastic tooth pick you can carefully scrape the flux away from the contacts - it’s quite soft and powdery. If you’re not sure about this maybe it’s better to leave it as is. And of course if you open the Hub you will void the warranty.

On the other hand if the switch isn’t working anyway, you may have nothing to lose.