WDTV live hub video output stuck on HDMI

Hi there, hopefully this is in the right arena and posted correctly.  I have a live hub with which over time I have battled the vagaries of losing thumbnails and folder levels that aren’t there and all the other WD quirks, but I think I’ve reached the end with this device.  After finally getting video thumbnails to stay put and music artwork to display properly and a wealth of videos and music to play, I foolishly allowed the most recent firmware upgrade, the unit has now switched from component video out to HDMI and refuses to change.  It goes through the motions of changing in the video menu, but ends up the same.  I have an aging but expensive non HD Viera that relies on component input. So now all I get is an unviewable screen.  My spare bedroom TV is HD, and swapping the unit there is how I know the WD has gone to HDMI.  Does anyone please have a solution.  I’ve tried paperclip reset, total powerdown etc which only succeeded in screwing up my video thumbnails again.   Thanks in advance.

-

Which firmware?     3.01.19

What happened?   Installed firmware, which appeared to be successful.  After 24 hours or so.....

Turned on the device, my video settings were lost and set to HDMI.  Screen became un-readable and un-usable.

- What were you doing?   Turning on the device with red remote power button
- Does this happen every time?  Yes this is permanent, video output menu settings do nothing.
- What hardware and media were you using?  Viera 42" TV (pre HD) with Component inputs
- Did this happen with previous firmware?  No
- Does power cycling the unit solve this?  No
- Does resetting to factory defaults solve this?  ...No
- Have you tried this on other devices?  Yes, samsung HD 32" via HDMI, ..only way to read the menu, which still won't change from HDMI.

Roll back to 3.00.28!

I didn’t know you could roll back firmware, I’ll poke around, but if you know how, I’d appreciate a heads-up.

regards

Check this link out:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860

Thanks, I had to change the .ver file to a higher number to have the firmware found, but after rolling back, the firmware to 3.00.28 HDMI is still stuck as the output.   I’ve noticed that changing from HDMI to component  and varying the resolution results in a message rconfirming changing resolution rather than type (composite etc) and sure enough you can change the component resolution, but the final result is HDMI at that resolution.

Do a hard reset from the menu settings, then power off and unplug the unit for about a minute or two.

Did that, but to no avail, still HDMI output.

Did you try going to Video/Audio settings and select HDMI Passthrough?

I didn’t, but isn’t that an audio setting?

How about manual select?

I’m having the same problem, contacted support a long time ago when the new firmware caused this - they said to roll back and wait to see if it gets fixed in new firmware. New firmware DOES NOT FIX THE PROBLEM!!! Hey WD, THIS IS A BUG - can we PLEASE get a fix on this?

rgx612a wrote:

I’m having the same problem, contacted support a long time ago when the new firmware caused this - they said to roll back and wait to see if it gets fixed in new firmware. New firmware DOES NOT FIX THE PROBLEM!!! Hey WD, THIS IS A BUG - can we PLEASE get a fix on this?

this thread was dead until your post… Have checked the issues reported and see if this has been filed as an issue? 

Are you saying it “has” been reported? If you are asking, how do you check for that (didn’t know you could see filed issues on these)?