WDTV LIVE HUB firmware update question

I have just purchased what was described as an new (not  used) OEM version that did not have a hard drive in it.  I put a SSD in it to test it and it initialized fine.  The firmware version is 0.00.18   It won’t update with the usb stick and when  queryed by user prompt in the system section it claims to be up to date.  I cannot perform network streaming of files that do function when I physically copy them to the SSD, and I cannot perform file copy operations from the user interface.  Netflix accepts my signin but evetually comes back with “this device cannot be registered”.  Anyone heard of a Live Hub that cannot be firmware updated?  Sorry for being such a late blooming rookie with this.  The device appealed to me with the onboard HDD and the component video outputs allow me to easily integrate it into my multiroom scheme.

what’s the model number please ?   (it should start with P/N:WDBA   look underneath)

Thank you.  The model number is WDBSKR0010BBK-00 S/N XXXXXXXXXXXX  There is a MAC ID that starts with 009    On the white tag (I think it reads model above it) to the right it is also filled with X’s like the S/N.

Try upgrading to 2.02.16 first

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/~/how-to-roll-back-the-firmware-on-a-wd-tv-live-hub-media-center,-wd-tv-live

Dude, I don’t know what you have, but it’s no WD TV Live Hub.

No firmware you try is going to work, because it’s not going to be recognized as firmware for … (whatever it is.)

Doing more research online, does your label look like this?

If so, you’ve been scammed.  

That was a product test that never made it to market.

As such, you will never get firmware for it other than what was already on it (which you appear to have bricked.)

No way to de-brick it or recover it since firmware doesn’t exist.

BINGO, that’s it except for all the Chinese or whatever that is (no disrespect intended).  I didn’t brick it, it still works.  I have buyer protection as I got it at online auction (and I was not the first), but it seems to do basically what I wanted it for.  I just ordered an e-sata dock so I can pop out the drive and load it quickly. 

Here is what the seller sent back to me earlier so he was sort of honest about it, it’s just that he didn’t state all these funked up things on the auction page.

“I have tested a sampling of these and they worked with my netflix account, several ripped movies I had worked as well. They are limited due to the fact they are some sort of demo model, that wont accept new firmware, but the basics should work”

I really appreciate your help on this forum members.  It appears I may be able to customize the remote via the interface (if that works), and get the commands into my MX-980.  If so I can probably live with it but I have some time to determine that and ultimately file a claim if need be.  I should have gotten a used one, and I would have had I known.

Oh, one more question.  I was about to try the original firmware as advised.  I am now concerned that I may “brick” it if I do.  What do you guys think?

Yeah, I see all sorts of online auctions selling those…  but they all have the same format, which makes me think that it’s all actually coming from one source.

“Honesty” would have the auction listing that there are NO firmware updates, warranty protection, WD Support, etc for whatever these are.

There is no original firmware other than what came on the box.    No downloads that I can find anywhere, at least.

This one appears to have dual antennas of some sort, each being mounted on the sidewalls about a quarter of the way back from the front of the unit.  WiFi? Looking at the interior and comparing it with other photos I have found on this forum it has the same basic layout but a lot of different circuit features.    Tony do you have a link to where you found discussion of this unit?  It seems like a hack job that I am a little concerned about leaving live on my network.

keweenawbee wrote:

This one appears to have dual antennas of some sort, each being mounted on the sidewalls about a quarter of the way back from the front of the unit.  WiFi? Looking at the interior and comparing it with other photos I have found on this forum it has the same basic layout but a lot of different circuit features.    Tony do you have a link to where you found discussion of this unit?  It seems like a hack job that I am a little concerned about leaving live on my network.

I just googled, Bing’d, and Yahoo’d the part number you gave.

Hay, man, can you post photo of device? Pretty please with sugar on top.

I will do that.  I am beginning to have doubts about a firmware flash as well.  But if it has the same micro & bus architecture it may since my user interface is obviously exactly the same.  If I have wifi now (haven’t tried it yet since I assumed I needed a USB dongle) I probably wouldn’t after a firmware flash.  I’ll take a picture of it, slap it back together and see if I have built-in wifi.

Thanks

Here is a picture.  It definitley has built in wifi.

I cannot drop movie files into the drive when I remove it from the unit and dock it to my mac, It shows up as “read only” and I cannot edit the permissions.  Do I need to do this on a PC instead?  I read somewhere here that a dude was doing this and really speeding up the transfer time versus the ethernet jack.  Can anybody help?

WOW!

I would look for old 1TB Scorpio Blue on eBay and fit it in.

I never actually exceeded in PC transfer because Hub creates some kind of ghost partitions. But check the forum and ask person who did it, how he did it.

As for FW, make a best of you got :slight_smile:

I have removed the HD from a Hub I had, and did connect it to a Windows PC on USB adapter. Worked fine for transferring files to it. I have also connected the LAN port directly to my ethernet card on cat5 and moved files this way too. Not nearly as fast as USB. I did nothing special to connect via LAN just plugged the cat5 cable into the Hub and the PC.

Some time ago I posted instructions how I have done both so searc through my posts you should find two one for LAN one for USB…