WDTV Live & Harmony One Universal Remote

Hi there, I have a WDTV Live and just bought a Harmony One Universal Remote.  All the commands for the WDTV Live are there in the Harmony One Universal Remote database, and it can learn new ones.  I only have one problem mapping the remove to the WDTV Live and that is, on the remote I can setup “Activities”.  I want one to be Videos, one to be Pictures and one to be Music.  I can set up the Harmony One Universal Remote, to do a series of commands, so that gets around the flaw in the WDTV Live where the Home button does not take you to the root “media type” menu.  So I can program the Harmony One Universal Remote to go “Home, Left, Left” to get to the media type selection menu.  However there is no way to know how many “Down” commands to send it to get to a specific media type, because the menu keeps going round in circles. 

Does anyone know of a IR command I can send the WDTV Live to get directly to a specific media type, eg; Video, Music or Pictures. 

Thanks, 

Scott.

I have similar remote and tried doing all combination to get this done. Unfortunately, WDTV live does not go to the fixed point where you can start sending commands. It goes to the point where you left. Also, the video, photo and music input does not work as input selection.

I tried this for changing the video from HDMI to Comp for swapping LCD to Projector. Failed and doing manually every time.

Madrasee wrote:

I have similar remote and tried doing all combination to get this done. Unfortunately, WDTV live does not go to the fixed point where you can start sending commands. It goes to the point where you left. Also, the video, photo and music input does not work as input selection.

I tried this for changing the video from HDMI to Comp for swapping LCD to Projector. Failed and doing manually every time.

I have a harmony remote with the following devices:

AV amp

Plasma TV

DVD player

Blu Ray player

WD TV Live

HDMI 3way switch

What works best for me is to switch off an activity before selecting another activity, I also leave the WD Live on permanently.

A possibility is to try a manual / auto method, manually go to ‘settings’ on the WD (which gives one a starting point), the commands for changing HDMI to Component and viceversa can be programmed into the Harmony for each activity.

You probably will also have to disable the WD’s screensaver as this would require an extra button press to wake up.

The only issue here is it does not swichon at the same point. It switch on where we left. We need to go manually to the settings then start firing commands from harmony one. There is no discreate command to go to settings in WDTV live.

Thanks for the feedback guys.  I have added this to the ideas forum.  Maybe we get lucky and they add some functionality in a firmware update to better support universal remotes…

Scott.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread… My desire is that when I switch to my WDTV live, nothing happens on the player. Currently whenever I switch to WDTVlive from using any other device, it starts playing whatever video is first on the list of files in whatever folder I was last in. I leave my WDTVlive on all of the time. I would like to always see a list of files in the folder I was last in whenever I start watching. I have no commands set for the WDTVlie so I don’t know why it’s doing this.

Any ideas?

I don’t know why it would be doing that either – mine doesn’t.

You can always SET some commands for your Live (like starting at the Video menu, for example, and then some key presses to display what you want) but that will take you out of the folder you were last in.

Figured it out. Under options for the activity, it was set to Play on entering the device.