WDTV Live Gen. 3 Network Shares, Media Server Issues

This unbelieveably buggy aspect of the WDTV Live has me at the end of my tether and ready to toss both of my players into the nearest bonfire.

I have two Gen. 3 live players on my network. They’re connected BY ETHERNET to a Linksys/Cisco E4200 router. I use two computers - both running Windows 7 - one 32bit; one 64bit.

Both PCs run OpenVPN connections - one for US resources like Hulu, Netflix - the other for UK resources like BBC iPlayer, ITV Player.

Since I bought them both in Thailand where I live, they don’t have the DRM chip so they don’t get the onboard apps for Hulu, Netflix, BBC iPlayer etc. This means I must use a media server. I have PlayON TV for US TV and Wildmedia Server for UK.

Switching between Media servers and network shares frequently requires that I reset the WDTV Lives to factory defaults or else they just sit there with the rotating icon trying to connect to the resource I want to use. Recently, however, when I reset, the **bleep** things can’t even connect to the internet. I just get a message telling me:

“Unable to connect to the internet. Please make sure your router is connected to the internet. Please press your back key on your remote control or try a different set up.”

Nothing’s changed on the router or the PC ; firewalls aren’t interfering with access because the WDTVs are able to stream Youtube content etc - WHEN they’re working as they’re supposed to.

If I switch from media server to network shares, I often have to sit there waiting for the player to find them. It never does so I have to go into Setup, Network setup and then re-do the network setup. I just don’t get it. Any help would be appreciated.

Try doing a roll back to see if it helps. 

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/session/L3RpbWUvMTMyODQ4MTExNS9zaWQvUWJRbjRaUGs%3D