WDTV Live firmware update - warning!

My did the same thing, I was on 1.0.11 and found new firmware downloaded. Then Brick!  I got for a gift for someone else so I opened it plugged it in and Western Digital is still releasing the firmware [text deleted]  of course i didnt download it.  By i think they should take it down unless they are ignoring this forum.

I think everybody who get WD TV Live bricked should immediately bring or send device back to WD under warranty. Why we should ignore this?

And after reading this forum I would like to get money back

I just upgraded two units via the network, one from 1.01.11 and another from 1.01.01. The first one hung on reboot and now appears bricked while the 2nd one completed just fine. Both are just a few days old, running on exactly the same network. I’d be interested in knowing what the failure rate is on this firmware upgrade, but it can’t be good news for Western Digital.

Darwould wrote:

Has anyone updated to 1.0.12 successfully???

Very few have had success with the firmware but not as many compared to those who now have a $200 piece of plastic.

Same problem here. Nice bricked WDTV.

How long does it take until WD is offering a solution?

Yep, you guessed it…Another Bricked WD TV Live in the wall" 

**bleep**! 

WD, there are lots of new options out there right now.  This is a bad time to have a major QA breakdown.  There is a reason why we in the IT world freeze dev during the Holidays. 

I did my update through a wired connection and had my external HD connected and powered on.  The update indicated it had complete and then hung up on the WD splash screen for over an hour.  When I recycled power, I got the “new” WD screen of death. 

My unit is bricked also. From this forum and others, it appears that the success rate for installing this firmware is less than 10%. It’s ridiculous that WD could even manage such situation. Does their QA department only have one test unit?

Bricked mine too…
Just updated to 1.0.12 and it’s bricked now.
thank you very much WD!
Btw… I attached a usb stick with the firmware on it but nothing happens.
Does anybody have a solution yet?

Same here from 1.01.11 to 1.01.12and bleah … good thing it’s only about 7 days and got it replaced ( bought it with a local retailer )… called WD support and told them about the issue ( the Singapore support ) and asked them pull out the update …

Now running with the shipping 1.01.00and afraid to update  :D

My unit is bricked also!!

add me to the list.  if the units need to be sent back, i hope that WD at least sends us all call tags so we don’t have to pay for shipping. :angry:

Mine is bricked as well. A lot of people have bricked units. WD please realize this is happening to a ton of people:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1172446&page=101

http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=3304.0

http://wdtvhd.com/index.php?showtopic=9399

someone find a solution with 1.01.12!!! I am disappointed

Same auto-update freeze problem happened to me last night :frowning:

Waiting 30 minutes, power cycling a few times, performing documented recovery procedure with USB key (with/without WiFi Linksys stick in 2nd USB port) did not work. I feel bad for wasting a few hours of my life and now I have headache because of lack of sleep…

WD, is there a way to recover from this multilingual screen of death, or we’ll need to return our days old devices back to you?

Thanks!

Daniel

Add me to the list - my 1 week old WD TV Live has failed after the firmware update!

Add another bricked unit to the list, i was starting to think I was going mad before I read these posts, hopefully these idiots will post a quick fix soon…

Yeh.

Mine is bricked also.

I bought it on 10/29/09, though I did not actually open it up until 2 weeks ago. It did the 1.0.11 update perfectly over the web. I got to update this ‘critical’ update and now I have a broken unit; that’s just outside the return date for Best Buy.

Thanks Western Digital! It’s not like I am made of money…

another one to the list 

Add me to the list! Seriously, how could you release not fully tested firmware to the public? And ironically claim that this is a critical firmware to improve update manager! Please release a solution! And can’t you remove the firmware from your website to avoid further damage to our end customers?:angry: