WDTV Live firmware update - warning!

And I was exptecting my unit before christmas, I sent it on dec. 9 2009. they received it on dec 11 2009, with a standard RMA. It could be long before anything comes back to home…

Bye

* COMPLAIN *

In the RMA status page there is a message stating that WD is experiencing delay due to inventory shortage and it may take another 2 weeks for replacement.

This is not acceptable, since I see this same product being sold in several stores, which are being re-stoked with new units. Also other users that report submitted RMA after me are receiving their units very fast.

Also insisted several times to send me the pre-paid UPS label. I've being ignored!!!

Well finally my replacement unit arrived today. Will udate as soon as WD gets their act together and deliver a bugfree update.

victorypoint wrote:

Sent my RMA unit to WD Canada on Dec 2 (MISSISSAUGA).  Canada Post tracking shows it was received on Dec 4 complete with a receiving signature.  But WD RMA status still shows “waiting for product”.  It’s now Dec 15.  What should I do?

-AJ

An update - WD site now shows my RMA status as received and shipped - that’s a total of 19 days to process my RMA.

I will receive one wdlivetv this Christmas. After reading all posts i think your advice is not to upgrad the fw. I think i prefer wait  for some i can trust 100%. What do you think?

Finally received my replacement unit from WD - RMA completed on the Dec 12th (unt bricked on the 4th but waited a week to see if there would be a less painful solution) - shiipped the 16th from Cal. and received 24th on East coast of Canada.  Definately and open box but the unit looks clean.  I thought they would have sent new units to those of us that have had to endure this episode. Let’s hope that more care is taken in future firmware upgrades.  Thank you to the forum members and advisors for all the information over the past few weeks. Have a great holiday.

And now? Do you will upgrad the fw again?

Ok - the unit has a protected boot block area, that kicks in when the system bios is corrupted (bad checksum), normally you should be able to recover the bios.  Depending on the reasons why the unit got corrupted in the first place, you may not be able to recover.

Try this to recover your unit…Shut it down completly, turn power off.

Unzip and extract all firmware files to the ROOT of your USB key with nothing else on it.

Plug the key to your box (WHILE IT IS OFF!)

Once plugged in, turn your unit on !

Normally it should be able to recover, these units have a backup area - if it doesn’t work then WD’s own recovery system is flawed - they can’t get ANYTHING right -  it amazes me how in the first place defects in their updating manager have passed QC checks - amazing - and they can’t even get their own recovery process working either.

Try this above method and let me know if it works.

If this unit also erases and updates the boot block & system areas, and even the boot block area is corrupt, you are out of luck.

If it still doesn’t work try a different USB slot, use the one on the back for example.

One month later and I still don’t have a replacement unit! 

Advance RMA should take only 5 days, but from the last 16 days I have a message stating is “Delayed”

This is absurd!!! ONE MONTH and noone from WD support says nothing!!! 

Could we ask for a refund or not?

IS ANYONE FROM WD LISTENING HERE? (Web support looks dead - nobody replies to my messages)

Give me my money back please!!!

ONE MONTH AFTER THE PROBLEM and still didn’t receive my unit!

WD: GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK!!!

same to me!!!

I contacted the support about 10 times! everytime they promised me everything… UPS label, fast exchange… And now? still waiting… def. the last thing I bought from WD

Where can i download 1.0.1.12 version? If i understand there is not problem if you upgrade it from usb

Wd told you should not do it…Many users had their unit broken doing this…

Same here in germany! I opened my Support-Ticket on December 4th and after some emails with WD-Support I finally received my UPS-prepaid-label on December 16th.

Actually I’m still waiting for my replacement unit. The guy at WD-Support told me that the swap-point in hungary wasn’t open in the past 2 weeks (christmas, new-year…OK, thats comprehendible).

I got mine updated to 1.0.1.12 via USB and I’m fine! :slight_smile:

Now almost a month past and WD still did not post new 1.0.1.12 on the website…

35 days after… Still no replacement and no answers from customer support!!!

Stores are being stocked everywhere with this unit and my RMA still says delayed due to stock shortage.

One thing is for sure this is the last WD product I buy or advise to buy. What can I say to my friends that bought this product because of me and are in the same situation I am?

I feel so sorry for buying a WD product. :frowning:

STurtle wrote:

I had similar troubles: the WD TV Live offered to update itself. I accepted and it downloaded the firmware upgrade and rebooted once. Then it would hang at 0%. After about 25min, I tried the reset button, which did do nothing. So I simply pulled the power plug and re-inserted it after 20s. A grey screen appeared, asking me to insert a USB-Key with a firmware.

I worried and searched for a USB-Key, which I do not own. After begging my wife to allow me to use her USB-Key, backing up all its data, and loading the newest firmware onto the key, I returned to the living room, where the WD TV Live had meanwhile already recovered entirely on its own. I checked and the firmware version was the neweset. No problems with using it either. I returned the unused USB-Key to my wife.

Same deal here, except I didn’t have to borrow my wife’s pen drive.

I too had an issue upon first starting up my unit. It recommended the online update and promptly hung during the process. I managed to get the upgrade firmware installed using a USB drive and most things have been working fine,… Most things.

Like Vitasam, I also have an issue when attempting to log into my YouTube account through the WD TV Live unit. It reboots each and every time! 

This only happens when attempting to log into my YouTube account. Random videos play…

I called about this issue and have been assured that another firmware update is pending. They said that I was not alone with this particular issue.

IMHO, WD should have obviously done more research before committing to retailing these. It is not like them as I have always found their quality in the many drives I have purchased.  I’m certain this notion has crossed their CEO’s mind now as well…

On the Positive; I am in love with this type of toy. Once they added network connectivity to this unit, I snatched one. I cant wait for TV manufacturers to begin incorporating this type of technology into the new sets! (Once the bugs are worked out that is) 

One of our regional satellite tv companies has an RF DVR. If you are watching a DVR movie in one room and would like to move to another, simply turn carry the remote with you. Just like GPS devices should be incorporated into automobiles as standard, so should these types of devices into our home entertainment systems.

At any rate, I’ll continue to enjoy the features that do work and anxiously await the Fix that has been promised. I’m not ready to throw the towel in yet… :0) My 2 cents.

I successfully updated to V1.0.1.12 in December. Turned on my WD TV Live on Monday evening, to be informed that there was a firmware update V1.0.1.17, I chose not to update until I had checked the web. Upon checking WD suggested the update and no one else had any issues updating. Wednesday evening, I clicked OK to the firmware update. It downloaded to 100% then said it will restart to complete the install. Upon restart, I get the WD logo and the text WD TV Live HD Media Player on the screen and the power light flashes constantly. I left it for an hour hoping it was still loading. It was not. As per the user manual, I unplugged it for 15 minutes and plugged it back in with no change to the system.

I have contacted WD and am waiting a reply. Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this???

Thanks