WDTV Live Did work over Ethernet - now doesn't. Anyone know why?

Hello everyone. First post so here goes…

Bought a WDTV Live last week and loved it. Had a couple of freezes on music at first but seemed to sort itself out. HD mkvs were streaming fine and regular from my NAS and Laptop except for one which would freeze after a while (time varied. I put this down to the mkvmerge issue but remuxing or cleaning had no affect.)

Connection would then be lost with network and a reset/reboot was required. But now the reset/reboots don’t work. They get me connected to the network but files that played before be it avi, mkv or whatever won’t play via Ethernet for longer than around ten minutes. One almost played through to the end but never the less froze.

But they do play on USB. Is this an overheat issue or a problem with the internal NIC? I’ve tried elevating the unit and it does still get warm.

I’ve emailed WD but no resolution/reply yet. It’s been escalated but I get the impression this is a common fault. It seems the NIC is sensitive to heat?

Thanks in advance!

p.s. If this is in the wrong place can the Mods move it? I’m not sure how.

Ok so no solution. I’ve arranged to have my WDTV Live exchanged for another although the more I read of networking problems such as the NIC overheating etc, I’m thinking I’d be better off with something else. The new PlayOn!HD Mini 2 is due for release shortly and looks like it might be very good. Gigabit Ethernet for instance. Possibly not DNLA though. Is that a problem?

BoutTime wrote:

Ok so no solution. I’ve arranged to have my WDTV Live exchanged for another although the more I read of networking problems such as the NIC overheating etc, I’m thinking I’d be better off with something else. The new PlayOn!HD Mini 2 is due for release shortly and looks like it might be very good. Gigabit Ethernet for instance. Possibly not DNLA though. Is that a problem?

Where exactly did you read of the NIC overheating?

I remember a thread almost a year ago where some guy said that his network would only work if he stuck the WDTV in the fridge for a while…  :smileyvery-happy:

But seriously.   This thing doesn’t HAVE a NIC.    The Ethernet “phyceiver” is on the Sigma SoC, not a separate device.  The HUB has a separate RealTek Phyceiver on it, but not the Live/Live+… 

No sure what’s gone on but couldn’t log in. So I reset my password and then was asked to register a username, I couldn’t select BoutTime as it’s already in use…by me!? Can the mods help with this? I’ve had to register as BoutTime2.

Back to the post. I’ve read about overheating in various forums but to be honest maybe the authors didn’t know the build up of the networking components. Cracking solder was mentioned. Anyhow the issue was supposedly escalated at WD Support but so far no response. Just googling the symptoms shows that these WD TV Lives seem to suffer from freezing during playback followed by network issues. I’m not slating the device. I loved it for the few days it worked. But I can’t say I’m that excited about getting the replacement. This all seemed to start with a particular MKV and i’m not confident these issues won’t return. USB playback was fine.

http://wdtvhd.com/index.php?showtopic=7164

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Networking/WDTV-Live-unable-to-obtain-working-IP-address-while-other/td-p/4998

http://wdtvhd.com/index.php?showtopic=9476