WDTV LIve and Network Shares Pt 2

OK, forgive me for starting a 2nd thread, but this problem has been greatly simplified.  So I fgured I’d simplify the thread.

I am using the WDTV to access shared drives on a server.  I use the UPnP function built into WMP to share out music & photos.  However, I use shares to access the MKV movie files as these wont go through WMP.

After much agony, Iam just using the Guest account to access the Movies folder on my drive.  At first this seemed to resolve all the ramdom problems I was having when I posed the other thread.

Now its simple.  I leave the server up 24/7.  As long as I access it with the WDTV twice a day (like morning and night), everything keeps working.  However, if I ever go from night to night, wiht no access in between i cant connect to network shares, though the UPnP function still works.  The only way to fix it when it goes out is to bounce the server and the WDTV. 

I’ve been messsign around iwht it for a few weeks and pretty sure this pattern always holds true.

So what is going on after a full day that is locking out the Guest account, or freezing up the WDTV?  If i bounce the WDTV box only, it wont resolve the problem, it has to be both.

its also pretty hard to troubleshoot becuase it takes a full day for the error to occur after you clear it out.

Thanks again for anyone’s insight and advice.

Well, if it makes you feel any better you’re not the first person to have this problem (but I don’t remember if the other person ever did get a resolution, only that they had to turn their server on and off in order to get a connection – you might try a forum search here but my efforts came up with nothing).

mkelley wrote:

Well, if it makes you feel any better you’re not the first person to have this problem (but I don’t remember if the other person ever did get a resolution, only that they had to turn their server on and off in order to get a connection – you might try a forum search here but my efforts came up with nothing).

I have read a bunch of threads on this subject on this forum and others.  Many people have network share issues and they all appear to be a little different from each other.  Somewhere there must be a commmon thread to this problem to be resolved.  I recently heard rolling back one firmware version fixes it so will try that tonight.

It’s anoying as heck so I hope I find an answer.