WDTV Live 1.03.40 Beta

I’m done with WD. 6+ months for a reliable firmware update? Uh, no. The XBMC community updates their stuff almost daily.

Everyone do yourself a favor and put the effort into building a device that runs XBMC. Interface is 100x’s better and if you have a problem, the possibility of it getting resolved is a lot higher.

WDTV Live 1.03.40 Beta

Still problem with Audio on DTS System aac [digital]

AAC and DTS are two different beasts.   What are you having an issue with?

@ RobDeep     try http://b-rad.cc/

Still problem in chinese ssa/a.s.s subtitles and 12bit color output. my TV model is Panasonic P46G10.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

AAC and DTS are two different beasts.   What are you having an issue with?

Without more information from oceansoul I’m guessing (s)he is running into the issue that many audio receivers capable of decoding 6ch DTS and AC3 cannot decode 6 ch AAC.  The current official firmware appears to downmix 6ch AAC to 2ch stereo when set to digital [which most of these receivers will play], whereas the betas appear to pass-through the 6ch AAC sound with the result that many DTS/AC3 decoders won’t output any audio.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

You don’t have to expand ISO’s to have “Direct Play.”

You can use PREVIEW mode, move your cursor to the ISO you want to view, and wait for it to start in the preview windows.   Then, cursor over to the PREVIEW window and select ENTER.   Voila; Direct Play.

… 

Excellent!!! Thx a lot! That’s the trick to play DVD ISOs even with 1.03.40 and still have the ability to zoom in/out.

Meanwhile I managed to enter the service menu of my CRT Panasonic TX-32PD50D and with help of a special reference DVD with test patterns for TV’s geometry I could recalibrate the overscan/pixel cropping on this device to only lose few pixels on the left and right with exact geometry and without any distortion (well, took nearly an hour to recalibrate all geometry parameters). Since I used 1.03.40 I could even create a DVD iso from the reference DVD with its complex menu structure and use it with the WD TV live (but there was no change comparing to the connected DVD player, a Denon 1740).

So, the WD TV live sends the whole video picture in analog signals; it’s up to the displaying device to make the best of it…

Thx again, Tony! :smiley:

Without more information from oceansoul I’m guessing (s)he is running into the issue that many audio receivers capable of decoding 6ch DTS and AC3 cannot decode 6 ch AAC.  The current official firmware appears to downmix 6ch AAC to 2ch stereo when set to digital [which most of these receivers will play], whereas the betas appear to pass-through the 6ch AAC sound with the result that many DTS/AC3 decoders won’t output any audio.

Sorry but i think that is problem when i set in option where is stereo, digital and digital without hdmi to stereo i have sound but its not good and 6+1 ! I have logitech sound DTS / THX system and lot of movies have ■■■■ sound on stereo option but when i set digital i dont have sound on lot movies signed as digital as  Correzpond write ! 

Sound system is Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speaker System

Product link  http://www.logitech.com/en-roeu/speakers-audio/home-pc-speakers/devices/224

still has the problem with thumbnails crashing with 300+ movie files.

This is my first ever beta with my WD TV Live. I have owned two since about two weeks after they were introduced.

First a lot of the posts seem to not include setups, components and configurations,. That might be helpful. I will put my config at the end since I don’t this it is relevant to the issues I see after about 3 hours of testing.

Problems I have

1. I am getting a very miner audio out of synch via Optical set on digital to my  receiver. This seems present on all files, but I am certain of it on standard ripbot264 made mkv which do not have any inordinately high bitrates.  audio is leading (ahead off) video by something like a couple hundred milliseconds. I have never seen that at all on any of the official firmware.

2. Like the user above, my WD freezes regularly  while scrolling through thumbnails. These are are standardized  and non corrupted low bit depth 120x180s. This has been happening since the change form next to last official firmware and is present and exhibited bug on this beta as well. My folders have about 200 subfolders containing the film and a foler.jgp file

Bugs present in official firmware but absent for me in this:

1)  regular poor detection of TV resolution over hjdmi resulting in startups at 480

My setup:

WD TV Live #1 connected via HDMI via joytech/monoprice hdmi switcher to Olevia 542i (720)  TV also connected to pioneer vbx516 recvr via optical. Audio out set to digital

WD TV Live #2 connected via HDMI via joytech/monoprice hdmi switcher to Olevia 332h (720) Monitor, also connected to RCA receiver via optical, audio set to out stereo

Both on robust well working WHS server, using

1. network shares of about 500  720mkvs with either aac or DTS, about 500 SD dvd files, some menued and non menued iso, some menued and non menued video_ts, and a few hundred assorted avi, wmv, etc.

2. server based playon with hulu, netflix live etc.

Welcome to the forums.

I don’t use the beta firmware (Not a big believer in fixing things which aren’t broken) but my Live audio has always led the video when run through my Yamaha AVR – no big huhu, I just use the Lip Sync adjustment all quality AVRs have and delay it by about 100ms and things are just fine.

This is very typical of a lot of playback devices (which is why the adjustment is there in the first place).

@mKelly. Thanks for the feedback but I have owned my WD TV Lives for almost a year, since last fall. I have never had this problem before and have never need to adjust sync. these are specifically videos with no sync error in orignal wd firmware or playack on VLC.

I just revrted one of the players to triple check and there is no out of sync on WD TV Live with the latest verison of official firmware of ten videos I picked at random.

As I also noted these are not high bitrate either (my net is gb and tested up to the wd, although I realize it is 100mb)

Format                           : Matroska
File size                        : 4.3x GiB
Duration                         : 2h xxmn
Overall bit rate                 : 4 6xx Kbps
Encoded date                     : UTC 2010-09-20 xxxxxx
Writing application              : mkvmerge v4.0.0  built on Jun  6 2010 16:18:42
Writing library                  : libebml v1.0.0 + libmatroska v1.0.0

Video
ID                               : 1
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 5 frames
Format settings, GOP             : M=4, N=32
Muxing mode                      : Container profile=Unknown@4.1
Codec ID                         : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration                         : 2h 1xmn
Bit rate                         : 4 03x Kbps
Width                            : 1 280 pixels
Height                           : 544 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 2.35:1
Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.242
Stream size                      : 3.6x GiB (84%)
Writing library                  : x264 core 104 r1698 c41b8f0
Encoding settings                : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=4033 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Audio
ID                               : 2
Format                           : AC-3
Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension                   : CM (complete main)
Codec ID                         : A_AC3
Duration                         : 2h 1xmn
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 640 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 6 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                        : 16 bits
Stream size                      : 612 MiB (14%)

I should also note that the reason I am bothering with firmware, and have been anticipating it, a) is the folder icon bug is really nasty causing me to have to pull my WDs from their out of the way places and power cycle them with a plug pull since on off doesn’t function with this cache bug, and b) the sore long time absence of DVD menus.

I see people who want  under or overscan for analog TV’s. I will not say that is too much it must be frustrating, but my main interests,  are more basic and I think basic expectations, in a  media player: DVD menu and lack of bugs in basic navigation display.

Lastly after following and reading the threads on various (enldess?) betas I want to thank whoever is working on the firmware at WD, I suspect they are lonely because (and this is the only time I will editorialize on this forum thread) it looks like WD itself is not placing near adequate resources to the task.

Lip Sync issues on HDMI TVs being used with HDMI AVRs can also be a sign of EDID handshaking issues, and may be the only issue.

Many HDMI TVs include a DELAY specification in the handshake which tells AVRs automatically how much delay to factor in for video decoding.   My LG+Pioneer is doing this quite well.

Hello,

I just made the upgrade from version 1.03.38 01/03/1940.

I encounter a problem while updating the device restarted but still image WD, the solution was to turn the player off and unplug the USB and then on again after reconnecting the USB and allow some to do the installation. I had no cons loss after updating my settings configured etc. …

Resolved:

MKV sound

BUG:

• Subtitles in movies, they still displayed continuously until there is none else to display.
  • Navigation via Samba, plant more often now to check please …

good job for the team!

For the moment I saw it, I’ll do other test.

@ +

Just upgraded to 1.03.40 Beta firmware to see if it would resolve the out of sync audio issues I’m having, no go :frowning: The same MKV works perfect in VLC on my PC/Mac but audio is out of sync on my 40" LCD with the WDTV Live HD connected to the TV with HDMI (including audio over HDMI). Any ideas? The MKV details:

General
Complete name                    : D:\BitTorrent\NHL.mkv
Format                           : Matroska
File size                        : 3.56 GiB
Duration                         : 1h 54mn
Overall bit rate                 : 4 473 Kbps
Encoded date                     : UTC 2010-09-24 05:17:07
Writing application              : mkvmerge v2.1.0 (‘Another Place To Fall’) built on Aug 19 2007 13:40:07
Writing library                  : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video
ID                               : 1
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : Main@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 4 frames
Format settings, GOP             : M=4, N=32
Muxing mode                      : Container profile=Unknown@4.0
Codec ID                         : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 4 000 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                 : 20.0 Mbps
Width                            : 1 280 pixels
Height                           : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Frame rate                       : 59.940 fps
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.072
Stream size                      : 3.19 GiB (89%)
Color primaries                  : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
Transfer characteristics         : BT.709-5, BT.1361
Matrix coefficients              : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

Audio
ID                               : 2
Format                           : AC-3
Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension                   : CM (complete main)
Codec ID                         : A_AC3
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 384 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L R
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                        : 16 bits
Stream size                      : 313 MiB (9%)

Upgraded to 1.03.40 from 1.03.38. Like with every beta I tried since the latest official firmware, the freeze issue after extended usage is still there. That is, just after 1-2 days usage involving watching maybe 2-3 movies and some TV Show episodes (all MKV)  with several standby cycles the unit suddenly loses sound and video plays in slow motion only. I have to pull the power plug to get back to normal.

Connected to Philips 32PF9966 via HDMI-DVI cable, stereo sound.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Lip Sync issues on HDMI TVs being used with HDMI AVRs can also be a sign of EDID handshaking issues, and may be the only issue.

Many HDMI TVs include a DELAY specification in the handshake which tells AVRs automatically how much delay to factor in for video decoding.   My LG+Pioneer is doing this quite well.

Again the “lilp sync”, audio out of sync issue of me is  occurring  on  audio out optically again i t is new in going from official firmware to this beta. I cannot report if it has been present on prior betas, but I do not have the issue on my official firmware and do on the beta.  I have quadrouple checked nwo with two addtional controls, a) removing joytech switches, and b) by keeping one of my two same build date WD offical and swapping them to the same device.

So are getting any closer to a release for the Live based on these Betas, or is this just endless mental self-gratification for a few tech-heads?

Seems to me the entire WDTV Live experience has been one big Beta test. WD should’ve let us know that before we paid to join their testing team by buying the unit.

does the wdtv live allow you to delete files from network shares via settings>file management?

i was just testing and it wouldnt let me. absolutely not a biggie for me since i prefer to manage my files from my pc but just thought id bring it up…