WDTV Live 1.03.40 Beta

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Jim; the “Cropped Video” is NOT A BUG, and by no means a CRITICAL bug.   ANY Analog source will do that (or, at the very least, SHOULD do that.)

99% of analog TV’s have a certain amount of OVERSCAN.    It’s built-in to the standard, and “compliant” displays obey the SMPTE’s guidelines. If the display sources DIDN’T do that, then people that have TVs with LESS overscan will see boxing.   

… … 

Your DVD player hooked up via analog will do it, too, to a greater or lesser extent.

… … 

Hi Tony,

take my apology; after reading your post and looking for the right keywords like overscanning and tv in the internet, it’s exactly like you described.

My CRT Panasonic TX-32PD50D seems to crop all input from the composite, component and S-Video interfaces … and as you stated, all used devices like DVD player, DVB-T receiver and other media players creates a more or less cropped picture using the same video reference material.

At the first day after unpacking the wd box, I stumbled over this playing with the zoom feature in 1.02.21 when I detected that even 0.9 zoom factor fits completely in horizontal … it never came to my mind to compare with other devices.

Yes, you’re right; this is not a bug. Would be good, if the idea link could be updated with this important technical background to avoid other users to draw the same wrong conclusions like me, again.

Sorry again for this noise here, :cry:

JimKnopf wrote:

… when I detected that even 0.9 zoom factor fits completely in vertical …

Hehehe…  And it’s one of those features that, ONCE SEEN, is missed when unavailable.

I’m pretty sure this ZOOM thing for DVDs is in the IDEAS LAB.   Go search it out and vote for it.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

JimKnopf wrote:

… when I detected that even 0.9 zoom factor fits completely in vertical …

Hehehe…  And it’s one of those features that, ONCE SEEN, is missed when unavailable.

I’m pretty sure this ZOOM thing for DVDs is in the IDEAS LAB.   Go search it out and vote for it.

Zoom Idea to vote on

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Ideas/Zoom-in-DVD-s/idi-p/28095

@JimKnopf

About the 0,9 zoom issue: it’s not a workaround because it requires expanding your ISO files and ripping new ones in a different way, but if one uses DVD folders (i.e. VIDEO_TS folder) rather than ISOs then current betas allow to choose whether to play in DVD mode or in the previous direct mode. To get the direct mode one has to press PLAY key over the VIDEO_TS folder.

By the way, I hope that WD keeps the direct playing, besides having (currently) more options such as zoom, it’s useful sometimes if DVDs menus don’t work well.

You don’t have to expand ISO’s to have “Direct Play.”

You can use PREVIEW mode, move your cursor to the ISO you want to view, and wait for it to start in the preview windows.   Then, cursor over to the PREVIEW window and select ENTER.   Voila; Direct Play.

I THINK, but I’m not sure, that you can also Direct Play if your ISO is in its own folder (NOT called VIDEO_TS) and select Play from the folder.

1 Like

HDMI deep color 12 bit not working anymore (black screen) . It was OK in the previous versions. (on Panasonic 42PV45 plasma TV)

Tases wrote:

HDMI deep color 12 bit not working anymore (black screen) . It was OK in the previous versions. (on Panasonic 42PV45 plasma TV)

Are you sure your TV actually supports it?

And, of course, you know there are no 12bit color sources out there (so not much point in setting your TV to it).

very sure; it did until this upgrade (previously it was 1.02.21) . after the upgrade the screen was black. I had to reset the player back to the factory settings in order to get image

Still problem in digital audio via HDMI … please hit it a time for all!!

I’m from Brasil…here we have a very large community that uses the WDTV LIVE … many are migrating into the B-RAD’s firmware because is very bad firmware released, the Betas are worse still, again in 1:03:40 no problem in digital audio HDMI.
I hope I can clean it soon.

thanks for the link Correzpond.

f/w 1.03.40 installed correctly.

when i upgraded to 1.03.38…had a major scare…when my tv went black during and after the upgrade process.

waited 15mins before i turned off the wdtv live and connected using component cables to tv and was relieved that wdtv live was ok. factory reset (pin holed)  the wdtv live and plugged hdmi in and all was ok.

1.03.40 does indeed fix the header compression problem with mkvs.

thank you wd.

havent had time to test 1.03.40 in detail but everything seems to be working fine.

win 7 network shares all working as it shld.

menus seems to be a lil slower compared to 1.03.38 or maybe its just my imagination.

anyway its not a big deal. all in all. its worth the upgrade.

edit:-

forgot about the hdmi deep color 8 bit and 12 bit thingy.

im able to select 12 bit in the latest official firmware but with 1.03.38 and 1.03.40 im unable to do so.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

You can use PREVIEW mode, move your cursor to the ISO you want to view, and wait for it to start in the preview windows.   Then, cursor over to the PREVIEW window and select ENTER.   Voila; Direct Play.

In any display mode pressing PLAY on an ISO should start without menu and ENTER should start with menu is my idea of Direct play.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

I THINK, but I’m not sure, that you can also Direct Play if your ISO is in its own folder (NOT called VIDEO_TS) and select Play from the folder.

Nope, no matter what you press the menu always gets displayed.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Loghorn:   Go to NETWORK SETTINGS and CLEAR the login info.

That happened a while back after a firmware update; it might happen now…

What are you using as the SMB server?  What does it report in its connection logs?

Clearing the login info was the first thing i did (it´s not my first update;-)

My NAS is an D-Link DNS323 and unfortunately i have no access to any logs.

This may help

Double check that Windows Live Sign In Assistant isn’t installed in the ‘Programs’ Control Panel. I found that even when I had removed it AutoUpdate re-installed it on one of my PCs.

Regards - Pav

I don’t know how long I’ve been ignoring that “new firmware found” alert when I start my Live, but every time I see it I wonder when this Beta is going to get finalized. Is there actual progress being made? Has it been abandoned in favor of making the Plus the one-and-only supported unit?

Now I see there is a Beta for the Plus as well, and some threads for the older Live Betas are still active. Someone needs to do some housekeeping…

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Anyone have a changelog from 1.03.35_V to 1.03.40_V ???

1.03.40 beta firmware still freeze in wdtv screen dont boot and control dont responding.

any  wdtv user have the same problem.

i have hardware problem? or firmware?

1.02.21 work ok.

MrClown wrote:

Anyone have a changelog from 1.03.35_V to 1.03.40_V ???

Here you go:

Resolved FW not completing upgrade for certain TVs

Resolved HDMI screen flicker issue

Resolved playback issues related to mkvmerge

Improved thumbnail caching

HDMI handshake issues introduced in 1.03.35

Resolved MP4 problems with seeking and audio stopping.

Resolved MP4 poor frame-rate and audio out of sync.

Resolved File Share group name – No longer requires all group names to be the same. (Reset to factory defaults required)

Resolved various user interface translation issues.

1 Like

Thank You :slight_smile: