WDTV Forgets Movie Stop Position when Shut Down, Any Solution Found?

I am posting this in the general section because I would like to know who else is having an issue with this and whether I am alone but this is proving to be quite an annoyance.

When I have to stop in the middle of a movie, and I leave the hub on Standby, the fan Keeps on spinning. I return an hour later to find the fan is still on. No Network Activity is taking place and the Hard Drive is not in use. But the fan keeps running. This is the ONLY way the Hub remembers where the movie was left off.

If I turn it off holding the power button on the remote, the hub forgets where the movie was left off.

Is there any way to manually turn it off completely without losing the last viewed position in a movie or a way to bookmark the movie?

I dont want to have to leave it on with the CPU and Fan running when I am not watching a movie.

Can we get some options on Power Down such as:

1. Stand By - with Network/Disk/Fan active

2. StandBy - CPU/Network/Hard Drive inactive

3. Full Power Off 

And also be able to have a bookmark on the movie? If Admin think this should be escalated to WD Tech, please go ahead and do so, I’m right with you. Thanks.

Try backing out of the movie prior to the shutdown. Give the hub an opportunity to write out it’s .bmk file.

My Panasonic Blu-Ray player does exactly this. If you pause the player or back out then power down, it’s OK but straight to a power down during playback, it doesn’t bookmark.

Re: 2) The fan always runs on standby. It’s called your 1) case. I suspect it’s kept running for thermal reasons. The box case may not seem hot to the touch but CE makers err on the side of caution for heat.

The only other viable combination between 1) and 3) is CPU on in a low-power state / Network listening (WOL-like)/ Drive spun down.  Modes like this are done for portable devices for battery life (think laptop). Plugged into a wall and given the total power for 1), it’s not worth it for the manufacturer. Power management of this type requires specific chipset features. Turn it off if you don’t need it. Leaving it spinning if you do. 

I’m somewhat confused on your last request to bookmark. Existing properly creates a bookmark. Done.

The hub also behaves like every other disk player or DVR I’ve owned in that when you return to a movie, you’re given the option of resume or restart.  Adding multiple bookmarks would be confusing. With chapter marks, fast forward and reverse, one can typically get close to a position of interest anyway. I suppose I don’t understand exactly what you’re requesting of WD.

Ok so you are suggesting if I press stop, then back out of a movie, and go back to the folder root, then hold power button for 3 seconds and completely **bleep** down the unit, this method will remember where I left off? Also where is this file created? I am going to try this and report back but I am pretty sure I did this before and it does not remember if it’s shut down. If it’s writing to RAM, then it’s a terrible idea because if it’s turned off or there’s a power outage, you can’t continue your movie where you left off. I will try what you said now, thanks.

.BMK files are created only for DVD media.  They’re stored in the same folder as the movie file.

All other file formats’ resume points are stored in the media library database.

If you have your hub internet connected, there is activity for time & temp. I have never noticed this, but my fan is currently running also on my hub which is connected but turned off. I would also like for off to be off, this thing can’t last forever.

Well I now know there is a standby & an actual power off, I am glad I read this thread. I turned on my hub, then held the power button a few secs & fan stopped. Thanks…

The backing out method works for me. I’ve been able to resume watching movies two weeks later, even after pulling the power cord once in the meantime. Though I should probably mention that I rarely shut the unit down, otherwise.

Ok, on a hunch I turned my media Library feature off then on again, played an mkv movie, stopped it, went back to “Home” and shut down the hub. It now remembers movie position.

For this to work, Media Library must be on.

Did high school kids write the firmware? I even found poor use of the English language in one of the Options, under Audio, Audio out via Hdmi only.

This has got to be by far the most unprofessionally written software I have ever seen and I have seen some pretty bad stuff out there mainly by Chinese and Korean manufacturers but WD being an American company takes the cake! Sorry but it’s true. It would be nice if they mentioned this so other people with their Media Library turned off do not go nuts when the hub won’t remember the position of the last movie they were watching. Thanks for your help.

I strongly advise one to turn off the unit when not in use. If you’re transferring files, do it while you’re watching a movie. That sleeve bearing fan sounds like it’s on it’s death already.

My unit has been in standby mode for a year & a half now. I stream to my other unit so I won’t be able to turn mine off, I just hope it keeps working like a rented mule.

UnhappyCamper wrote:
Ok, on a hunch I turned my media Library feature off then on again, played an mkv movie, stopped it, went back to “Home” and shut down the hub. It now remembers movie position.

For this to work, Media Library must be on.

Did high school kids write the firmware? I even found poor use of the English language in one of the Options, under Audio, Audio out via Hdmi only.

This has got to be by far the most unprofessionally written software I have ever seen and I have seen some pretty bad stuff out there mainly by Chinese and Korean manufacturers but WD being an American company takes the cake! Sorry but it’s true. It would be nice if they mentioned this so other people with their Media Library turned off do not go nuts when the hub won’t remember the position of the last movie they were watching. Thanks for your help.

Gosh you do live up to your name. Are you ever a happy camper?

Rich :slight_smile: Hehehe, I was obviously very frustrated when I signed in here. I belong to 2 forums, this is one of them. When a product delivers, there’s no need for people to go online to demonstrate their displeasure about it. Well, that’s why I am here. Yes I am generally a Happy Camper, so my wife suggested I go on as Grumpy the Bear or Unhappy Camper. Grumpy was a little too much, so I chose Unhappy Camper. Thanks for the laugh and uplifting spirits. Take care.

UnhappyCamper wrote:

Rich :slight_smile: Hehehe, I was obviously very frustrated when I signed in here. I belong to 2 forums, this is one of them. When a product delivers, there’s no need for people to go online to demonstrate their displeasure about it. Well, that’s why I am here. Yes I am generally a Happy Camper, so my wife suggested I go on as Grumpy the Bear or Unhappy Camper. Grumpy was a little too much, so I chose Unhappy Camper. Thanks for the laugh and uplifting spirits. Take care.

I will always think of you as Grumpy the Bear from now on.

Haha, you and my wife both. Very well, I am looking to upgrade my firmware to Excited Camper actually.

UPDATE:

I left this thing on ALL night, and its still COMPILING!!! 

The worst part of this is, you have to leave Media Library turned ON for it to remember where you left off watching the movie in order to continue.

I have thousands of songs and movies on an external USB drive. The WDTV leaves its mark by putting lots of XML, Thumbs, and Metathumb Files on the hard drive. Ok No problem.

But, when I disconnect the drive, and plug it back into my Windows 7 PC, it insists on Scanning the Drive EVERY TIME!

After Scanning it tells me that it found and recovered from errors!

This problem needs FIXING badly! I would rather have the Media Library OFF and Manually search for what I want to view and still be able to RESUME from my last position.

Problem not solved… :( 

If you’re dissatisfied then return or sell the hub. Based on all of your posts, it’s apparently not suiting your purposes or living up to your expectations.

Why bother … Find an alternative solution that works for you and move on. :smiley:

UnhappyCamper wrote:

UPDATE:

I left this thing on ALL night, and its still COMPILING!!! 

The worst part of this is, you have to leave Media Library turned ON for it to remember where you left off watching the movie in order to continue.

I have thousands of songs and movies on an external USB drive. The WDTV leaves its mark by putting lots of XML, Thumbs, and Metathumb Files on the hard drive. Ok No problem.

But, when I disconnect the drive, and plug it back into my Windows 7 PC, it insists on Scanning the Drive EVERY TIME!

After Scanning it tells me that it found and recovered from errors!

This problem needs FIXING badly! I would rather have the Media Library OFF and Manually search for what I want to view and still be able to RESUME from my last position.

Problem not solved… :( 

Based on the feedback you have provided this product does not meet your demand…

you might be better off getting another media player…

I don’t hate as much as you do since must media players have issues

the Hub is the one that so far that I have liked the most