WDS500G2X0C issue in Fujitsu P557

Have a weird issue here with this drive and Fujitsu are at a bit of a loss also.

If I install the drive as mention above in the system, the drive is detected correctly, can install Windows 10, update drivers and BIOS, performance is exactly as expected, nice and rapid! However, this is only when using the onboard video (Intel), I cannot install a PCI-Express video card, or anything in any of the PCI-express lots, they are just not detected, not found however you want to put it. Remove a video card (for example) go back to onboard video, machine boots and functions normally.

Just to be clear, it doesn’t matter what slot or what PCI-Express card is installed, if this drive is present, nothing is detected, be it a Com port expansion card, video card, network card etc etc. It’s as if installing this drive disables all other PCI-Express functionality on the board.

Now I’d blame the machine immediately, except, if I install a Samsung 970 of the same size which is also PCI-Express x4 NVME m.2 drive, all slots function perfectly as expected.

I’ve updated BIOS, drivers, Windows it makes no difference, if this drive is installed, no PCI-Express slot will work. Fujitsu claim it is a specific issue with this drive and I’ve sent them lots of diagnostic data and they suggest using a Samsung drive which works, but while true, doesn’t explain what’s different about this drive to any other PCI-Express NVME drives. I’ve hunted the BIOS for any setting that might explain or make some change to the behaviour but as of yet, have not found any.

I’ve tried this on a variety of configurations of P557 (i3, i5 and i7) and the result is always the same. Alternate vendor m.2 drives work leaving slots functioning, the WD works but disables the slots.

I am also pretty sure the drive(s) is not faulty, I’ve tried 4 examples of this drive and they all behave the same and as said, the drive works exactly as expected except for the PCI-Express slots being disabled.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hello,

It sounds like motherboard related, can you post your detailed system information so we can discuss with engineering team ?

I am not aware about detail difference between our drive and our competitors, but I assume something like this may be power related.

Thanks for coming back to me, I’ll give you as much detail on the particular machine i have it in at the moment, the results were the same with i3/i5 variants of the same model.

• Mainboard: D3500 (proprietary )
  • Chipset: Intel H110
  • CPU - Intel® Core™ i7-7700 processor, 8 MB, 3.60 GHz, up to 4.2 GHz
  • RAM - 2 x 16GB DDR4-2400 Kingston (behaviour is the same with the single 8GB stick the machine came as standard)
  • DVDRW
  • Windows 10 Pro x64 1803
  • No other SATA devices present except for the DVDRW which functions fine.

BIOS Rev: 1.18 (latest available)