wdmycloud/Twonky assigns wrong IP address to samsung smart tv (2016 model only) and disconnnects after 20-30 minutes

I would say not, since it connects via the router. But you may find it restarts when your router reboots…

I would go to the Twonky user interface (port 9000 of your MyCloud’s IP address), go to Sharing/Media Receivers, and hit the ‘Reset List’ button. Do that after the router (and MyCloud) has rebooted.

I would go to the Twonky user interface (port 9000 of your MyCloud’s IP address), go to Sharing/Media Receivers, and hit the ‘Reset List’ button. Do that after the router (and MyCloud) has rebooted.

Yes I’ve done that. The TV is not shown in the list and I don’t see Mycloud on TV.

Youtube etc works so it is not the wired connection between router/TV.

To me, that suggests that your TV hasn’t actually made a connection to your router. Is the TV appearing in your router’s IP device list? Either that, or your router is for some reason blocking the path.

Okay; that is very strange. TV can reach internet, but not local devices.

What IP addresses is your router reporting for MyCloud and TV? Are they on the same subnet?

yes, youtube runs on TV and the TV appears in the router’s list.

TV 192.168.1.8, Mycloud 192.168.1.2.

TV is identified as “localhost” under Ethernet… dunno whether it is significant.

Okay, that is VERY strange…I’d probably login to the MyCloud via SSH, and ping the TV, to make sure it is reachable. You’d need an SSH client, such as PuTTY, and to enable SSH on the MyCloud.

I note there’s a pretty recent firmware upgrade (2017/06/15):

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your help so far but I as a lame user I will go only as far… I hope Samsung will issue a patch.

As the environment works with my other Samsung TV it is certainly not an issue with the router.

Thank you! I haven’t noticed. I’m running it on the TV now! :slight_smile:

Couple of suggestions. First is to check the network settings on the TV, and disable WiFi if possible if connecting via Ethernet wire. I’d go so far as to disable WiFi on the network router too as a troubleshooting step just to rule out WiFi as being a problem.

I’d then see the TV’s user manual and review the section on troubleshooting network issues. I would also perform a complete reset on the TV just as a trouble shooting step.

I’d then contact Samsung or see their support forums (if they have one) to see if anyone has had similar issues and if they were able to resolve it. What you would be looking for is the inability to stream media from a network attached storage (NAS) device.

The new firmware update seems to have resolved the issue. Sometimes the most obvious solution works best, if one is attentive :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Thanks for all your help, I’ve learned quite a bit of medium user level home networking :slight_smile:

I have another issue with displaying subtitles on the TV but I will open another topic for it - this one seems to work with you guys! :slight_smile: