WDmycloud not secure

hi Everyone

yesterday i bought this drive wdmycloud 3 T, and I am trying to figure out how secure it is.

everything work fine , i created share folders and they are puplic , and I can access them from other laptop or phone on the network. So till now all look ok.

the question is , if i want to make 1 share folder as private , and only me I can access it , it will work with my samsung , but not for computers on network.

so in case i disable the public share , and i permit only myself for the folder to see, it will work on tablet and phones, but any computer on the network will have access too.

so what this means?

means if someone hack your network wireless , he will see all drives.

is there a way not to let any one access the folders?

You need to assign the share to a user, and set a password for that user.

Hi Tony

I already created 2 users , and both have password.

Users Tab → password is on.

share Tab —> public access is off on bothe new shares folder.

and then i gave full access to each user for his folder.

it works fine on samsung tablet and smart phone , each user will see his folder only and the public one.

the problem is , when i give full access to user to his folder , then my other wireless  laptop will access all folder that are open to user.
 unless i change permission to no access , then no one can access the folder , even the smart phone or tablet.

and this is bad , in case my neighbour hacks my wireless , then he will access all my folders without permission.

so my question is:

is it normal , that any computer or laptop wireless on the network , can access share folder , even the public access  turned off ?

Of course that is not normal. Can you take screen shots of your config pages and post them?

In the user section, Select each user, then do a screen capture and post them.

i had the the public off . and last picture is accessing the folders from a desktop computer on network , and the same for wireless laptop , i see all folders .

Yeah, you have public turned off, but you’ve selected Full Access for all users.

only 2 users , have access to 2 folder , then why my laptop has access to these folder ( you can consider this laptop as if it is outside home and hacked to my router network.

it start to be more clear now , I gave admin (streamview) access to his share folder., and Julian to his share folder only , and I noticed that the wireless laptop and the desktop, only has access to the admin folder , and not julian folder.

I notice , everytime I give admin(streamview) full access to any user folder , then the laptop and desktop has full access to these folder too.

Try turning media sharing off.  I believe that option creates a DLNA server for media which is always public (DLNA has no access controls) so some part of that share will always be public.

most likely because the laptop and desktop are still using the admin credentials.  open up command prompt and type “net use” without quotes.  If there are entries for the my cloud, then you’ll need to clear the credentials.  Once you do this, next time you try accessing that share, it will ask for username / password

I did (turning media serving off , and deleting net use  , and still the same,

so i think it is better not to share anything with admin folder .

to all reader that reading this post , DO NOT SHARE ANY INFORMATION IN YOUR ADMIN SHARES FOLDER.

because it can be access by any hacker to your wireless network.:mansad:

new discovery : I went to setting , general , and changed my device name to MyCloud, and now I can not access any private folder , even the admin folder. i dont know if the reaseon was that the device name and shares folder name were the same ( streamview). will do more test and post my result.

thanks any way for trying to help.

Hi, I’m on mac. the wierd thing I’m getting is that everytime I enable password to access, I cant connect to my cloud remotely from mobile apps, And while my mac opens everything + the public content. When I undo this, since its for me is very important to access my data from mobile app when I’m away, I have no access to my personal folders (shares) on my mac, while mobile apps working just fine.now the thing is I would prefer adding password protection to log into my cloud dashboard, and to have my mobile apps too working just fine. unfortunately cant get both password enabled+ remote mobile/mac access together. I think thats the only weak point on wd my cloud.

julianjpg wrote:

Hi, I’m on mac. the wierd thing I’m getting is that everytime I enable password to access, I cant connect to my cloud remotely from mobile apps, And while my mac opens everything + the public content. When I undo this, since its for me is very important to access my data from mobile app when I’m away, I have no access to my personal folders (shares) on my mac, while mobile apps working just fine.now the thing is I would prefer adding password protection to log into my cloud dashboard, and to have my mobile apps too working just fine. unfortunately cant get both password enabled+ remote mobile/mac access together. I think thats the only weak point on wd my cloud.

If you change the security profile of a user that has mobile access, you need to de-authorize the devices and re-authorize them to refresh the security.