WDMycloud Cannot be Updated

Good Afternoon all,

My current WDMycloud 4TB device cannot be upgraded to OS 5. I am going to buy a new one. However, my question is, how can I get the data off of the old one to put on the new one? I currently cannot login to it or access it currently. Thank you for your help.

More information is needed.
What color is the front LED of the My Cloud?
Is the My Cloud connected to your local network (to the network router)?
Can you access the My Cloud Dashboard either by name or by the My Cloud IP address?
If using Windows 10 have you enabled SMB1.0 and set the Network Profile to Private?

[quote=“Bennor, post:2, topic:274571”]
What color is the front LED of the My Cloud? Red
Is the My Cloud connected to your local network (to the network router)? Yes
Can you access the My Cloud Dashboard either by name or by the My Cloud IP address? No
If using Windows 10 have you enabled SMB1.0 and set the Network Profile to Private? My company Laptop won’t allow SMB 1.0

A front red LED typically means there is a serious problem with the unit or the internal hard drive. See the User Manual for your My Cloud device which will explain what the front led colors mean and possible causes.

My Cloud Support
https://support-en.wd.com/app/products/product-detail/p/125

Normally I would agree with you, but the red light showed up shortly after the first email came in saying the support was ending and to upgrade the product.

Hard drives go bad or have issues that prevent the My Cloud from operating properly with is typically what causes a front red LED. Or are you saying that you believe WD intentionally caused a problem with the drive causing the front LED to turn red?

Does the My Cloud obtain an IP address from the network router (DHCP Server)? One can usually access the network router’s administration page to see what IP address it is handing out to devices. One can see if the My Cloud is obtaining an IP address from that router. Or one can use a network scanner program to scan for IP addresses on the local network to see if the My Cloud is showing up.

As a last resort one can extract the My Cloud hard drive from it’s enclosure and connect it to a computer using a USB to SATA adapter for 3.5 inch hard drives, or a USB to SATA docking station, or a spare SATA port on the computer. Because the My Cloud hard drive data partition is formatted for EXT4 one will have to use either Linux or a Linux driver (if using Windows) to view the contents of that data partition and copy data off it.