WDEX4100 Will not mount to two iMac computers

Hello all!

I recently purchased the WD EX4100 16TB model in RAID 5, I am very pleased with the unit! However I am having trouble getting my second iMac to connect to it, or even locate it. Both iMac copmuters are running OSX Yosemite and are both connected via ethenert to the EX4100 unit. Is there something I am doing wrong? I am not connected to my router, but directly connected to the two computers. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

myanroser wrote:

Hello all!

I recently purchased the WD EX4100 16TB model in RAID 5, I am very pleased with the unit! However I am having trouble getting my second iMac to connect to it, or even locate it. Both iMac copmuters are running OSX Yosemite and are both connected via ethenert to the EX4100 unit. Is there something I am doing wrong? I am not connected to my router, but directly connected to the two computers. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

What you did is call Zeroconfig.  You can only connect one PC/Mac to your NAS with that direct connnection.  To be able to connect more PC/Mac to the NAS.  You would have to use what we call router.  You connect your NAS,PC, iMac, MacbookPro to your router using wire/wireless.  Hope that help.  You can get a router for $30-$100 (Gig lan speed).

Sounds great! I currently have an Apple Airport Extreme for my router. So if I wanted it hardwired in, I would ethernet the WD EX4100 to the router and hook each imac into the router for a faster connection as opposed to wifi?

myanroser wrote:

Sounds great! I currently have an Apple Airport Extreme for my router. So if I wanted it hardwired in, I would ethernet the WD EX4100 to the router and hook each imac into the router for a faster connection as opposed to wifi?

Yes, I prefer wire all the way if possible.  You can hook up all your devices to the Airport Extreme.