WDC WDS256G WD Black NVMe PCIe M.2x4 on X99 Asus MB

I am please to report that this SSD installed correctly in ASUS Rampage 10 Motherboard (Intel X99 Chipset) with no problems. Initialized as GDP Partition then Windows 10 Pro Creator Edition installed from USB in under 15 min.

You can not install Windows 10 from a USB drive on a MBR partition as I found out the hard way.

Runs a little hot though when you are doing a lot of writing to the drive so I fitted a fan to keep it cooler. Windows BOOT time is just 6 seconds now on a system with 23TB of storage and overclocked.

Hi iMShub1 ,

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

Thank You.

I was having problems getting my main system/server to load using an Apacer SSD after taking out a WD 4TB to use in backing up my other network PC’s as a result of a failure in my Seagate 8TB backup plus hub which I had to replace under warranty. Systems all busted loose waiting for lousy UPS delivery to be able to read map to bring unit to me. Any ways, Win 10 would not install to a GPT free area on the SSD using various media(USB, DVD, etc), then I changed the UEFI definition in my bios and did not have to reload at all, the old system booted up in UEFI + Legacy. This presents a problem for me as I want to add a WD PCIe NVMe Black unit which specs say must be run in “UEFI ONLY” mode.

Need any infor on this.

Thanks
DL