WDC WD7500BPKT-75PK4T0 -(S0) 750GB in DELL XPS L502X laptop causes error reports

According to the BIOS I’ve got a WDC WD7500BPKT-75PK4T0 -(S0) 750GB hard drive that is built into a DELL XPS L502X laptop with Linux.

When I enter the above hard disk model on WD’s support website it is identified as a WD Black (mobile).

Several times in a row the laptop has been turned on and also powered off by pressing the On/Off button instead of shutting down properly.

Now, at each startup a few full screen color screens of different colors are displayed first and then a Pre-boot System Assessment Build 4129 appears that displays this hard drive error report:

Error Code 0146.

Msg: Error Code 2000-0146

Msg: Hard Drive 0 - self test log contains previous error(s)

Do you want to continue testing?

Yes or No or Retry

When I select Yes and run all tests completely, even the additional memory tests what is recommended, finally this is displayed:

Pre-boot System Assessment complete. Please select OK to reboot your system.

Ok

When I select Ok, the system restarts without the initial error report and boots the operating system but when the system is shut down and the laptop turned on again, the initial error report is shown again.

When No is selected (to not continue testing) at the initial error report, I’m prompted to select Ok to reboot and the system restarts without the error message and boots the OS.

Apart from the above problems at each startup that are really disturbing me, the hard disk works perfectly. Despite the error report, I’m using the laptop with the drive for months without any issues, yet! Therefore I suspect the drive is not damaged physically or hardware-related but basically due to errors contained in the self test log.

How I can get rid of the Pre-boot System Assessment error report at each startup and solve this?

Is the self test log a file on the drive or saved in the BIOS and is it feasible to access (edit or delete) the self test log?

WD’s support has told me to replace the drive or test it on macOS or Windows, what they provided me a link for, but I do not have these OS installed on the DELL laptop. It runs Linux.

Hi @WD7500BPKT,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

Hello @Keerti_01,

Yes. I opened a Support Case. Reference #: 230227-004192 is the case ID.

Can OEM drives (not Retail) be tested with these tests Check Drive for Errors or Failure on Windows and macOS as well?

As Linux is not supported, is it possible to run the above tests from another computer that has Windows installed by establishing a WiFi, Bluetooth, Ethernet/LAN/network cable or USB cable connection between the 2 computers and accessing the remote WD drive in the DELL laptop?

I’ve been able to run WD’s Dashboard app from a Windows bootable flash drive. Dashboard displays on its splash screen (Status):

Drive Health: Poor

Poor = A S.M.A.R.T. attribute has exceeded its threshold

After running the S.M.A.R.T. Diagnostic Extended Test from the Tools tab it confirms the test has completed and displays:

Failed with error code: 4

According to the website Western Digital Dashboard Error Codes Explained this means:

4 The previous self-test completed having a test element that failed and the test element that failed is not known. Retest after checking the connections. Replace the drive if the error repeats. Re-Test Drive

S.M.A.R.T. Data (also from Tools tab) displays that

ID Name

5 Reassigned Sector Count

exceeds the threshold by far.

Other hard drive management apps included in the Windows bootable flash drive flagged the Reallocated Sectors Count in their S.M.A.R.T. Data view as “BAD” (Probably the “Reassigned Sector Count” is the same as the “Reallocated Sectors Count”).

So I think this entry is basically the problem.