WDC WD1000BB and Promise 100TX2 IDE controller

Hi Guys,

I’m trying to resurrect an old Gateway to run as a print server. It has an Intel al440lx mobo with 66MHz FSB, and I want to install a Western Digital WD1000BB HDD on a Promise 100tx2 controlled card. The problem I have is that while both the HDD and controller card are UDMA-5, when the system boots and the controller initializes the HDD they only run at UDMA-2. Does anyone have any idea why? I’ve used the controlled with a different drive and it will run at UDMA-5, apparently just not with the WD1000BB. I know the WD1000BB is in good working order because it works fine plugged into the mobo IDE sockets, but only at UDMA-2, which is all it supports. I wanted to use the PCI controlled because I thought I’d get faster disk access, but not so far. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks guys,

Steve

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Hi,

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Thought I’d post the answer in case anyone else has the same issue.

I got hold of DLGUDMA.EXE Ver:2.0.6 ( one of WD’s Data Life utilities ). It allowed me to set the transfer rate to UDMA-5. We’re cruising now!!! YAY!!!