WD60EZAZ: Corrupted NTFS Partitions

I have an WD60EZAZ blue 6 GB hard drive to be used as a small business’s backup Drive for images, PDFs, internally produced video files, etc.

I installed the drive in a external enclosure (which supports up to 8 TB drives) and formatted the drive with a single 6 terabyte NTFS partition. Over several days, I copied approximately 5 terabytes of data. After a backup session I shut down Win 10, powered off the drive, and left it sitting for two to three days. When I reconnected the drive, Win 10 pops up a dialog box telling me that disc was unformatted. I checked the partition using the Window’s Disk Management and it showed that the partition existed but it was un-mountable, unreadable, and un-fixable.

As I already had the original data, I reformatted the drive and performed a disk check which indicated no issues with the drive.

On the advice of a friend, I re-formatted the drive with three 2 terabyte partitions. I again backed up my data, this time using a different computer running Linux.

Yesterday, I backed up data to the third partition and shut down both the computer and drive. When I re-attached to drive this morning the third partition was again corrupted and no longer accessible.

What I am trying to understand is why this WD Blue drive, with the drive enclosure, would encounter a partition corruption when the drive is approx. 85% filled. Eg. I need to determine if this is drive or enclosure issue.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Notes.

• Neither Windows nor Linox produce any error messages when I was backing up the data.
  • The enclosure usually houses a WD 4TB Blue and, in a 1.5 years of use, I have had no issues.

Hi @dmtx,

I request you to test the drive health status through Western Digital Dashboard.

Title: Testing a drive for problems using The Western Digital Dashboard
Link: https://wddashboarddownloads.wdc.com/wdDashboard/DashboardSetup.exe

I am using a SABRENT nEC-DFLT. According to the doc, this unit Supports up to 8TB drives. I have used the enclosure with other drives, including a 4TB Blue.

I hate to spend $25++ for another enclosure

Also, I do not have a access to a machine where I can install the drive to SATA connection.

THanks