WD5000AAKX - 083CA1 READ ERRORs

I got an WD5000AAKX - 083CA1 S/N [Deleted - Trancer] DATE: 25 JAN 2012 DCM: HGRNHV2MHB dcx: 60123J6C9

that was working OK for 25 months without any problem, not in operating system event log, nor while runnlng DLDIAG.

all of a sudden, the drive failed, reporting SMART error 0007 while running DOS DLDIAG

Short Test. I managed to salvage some of the data, using HDD RawCopy tool, in a process characterised by a very very slow READ that longed many many houres. I am very much dissapointed with WD Blue, and since I have tens and even hundreds of those Blue drives installed in my customers business workstations, I am also very much worried that other Blue drives will fail too in the same manner, without any prior warning. Is there anybody familiare with this issue? any advice?

Hi Hilasupport, note that there are many variables that can result in a failed drive, such as power outages, accidental physical damage, internal component failure, and computer viruses, just to name a few. It would be difficult to know the exact reason that caused the failure, but this is not a wide spread issue with this model. 

first, I was disappointed with WD Blue drive, and now I am disappointed with WD response.

I am a 30 years HDD veteran, started with IBM’s 3330 HDD on System 370, went through almost every HDD brand and product made on earth, to todays Enterprise, SMB, and workstation HDDs and SSDs. I would have not posted this post if there was a chance the the drive failed due to inapropriate treatment such as memtioned. the WD blue HDD in subject was carefully handled and installed in a virus free business computer spinning 9 hours a day only, protected by UPS, monitored constantly for errors, and yet failed without any early warning, 26 momthes from installation. It was expected that WD HDD will survive at least for 36 months, which is practically the common warranty period for a business computer.

needless to say that WD should recommend not to put a 24 months warranted Blue HDD in a 3 year warranted business computer.

And no, I will not “Click the Kudos star to say thank you for the helpful post”.