WD5000AAKS Keeps restarting

So I’ve had this drive for a few years now.  One time awhile back, the drive wouldnt stay on.  I’d plug it in any USB port on my PC and it would pop up in my computer, but would almost immediately recycle and go away.  Eventually, it started working again and i immediately copied everything off.  At the time, I didn’t have a while lot of data, maybe 50GB.  I dont remember why but I started putting stuff on it again because it was working fine.

Well, now its doing it again but It never starts working.  I’ve tried it on multiple computers.  I even bought a Thermaltake BlackX and it does the same thing removed from the enclosure it came in.  I can turn it on and it spins up and will stay on but as soon as I connect it through USB or ESATA, It recycles.  Other drives work fine.  Eventually even when unplugged from the USB connection, the drive will recycle all on its on.  I’m not sure if that is part of the power save feature of the drive.

The drive is WD5000AAKS-00TMA0

Date 21 MAR 2008 M

DCM HBNCNV2CB

It also says “recertified”.  Does that mean that the HD was used when I bought it brand new in the USB enclosure at Best Buy?

I’m not disgruntled about WD and have had great success with HD products.  I understand the nature of anything mechanical and its ability to fail.  I’m just curious/hoping that there is some cheap solution to at least being able to access the data to copy to another drive.  I’ve read that there may be a firmware issue?

Please Help and Thanks in advance.

Charlie

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Have you done any Firmware update on the drive itself? If you did, it might be the culprit. If not, your drive controller may be simply failing. Try running WD DLG on the drive (Using Black X) and see what it says.