WD40EZRX 4TB Partition and Format

Hi everyone. I just bought 2 of the above mentoned HDD’s, and am having a nightmare trying to P and F them.

I bought a 3TB WD30EZRX about 4 months ago and although I struggled I did eventually obtain a 3TB partitioned.

Unfortunately I can’t remember how I did it.

Now I read that anything bigger than 2TB has to be GPT. I can assure you that it don’t:wink:

HEEEELP! Please!:confounded:

And thanks, in advance.

Max

Win 7 x64 SP1

I’m in the sameboat and it is sinking fast.  I got a WD40EZRX I want to put in m Magnavox MBR535   DVDR and I can’t partition it or format it.  I’ve been searching for several days and nothing works.  I’m running  Win 8 Pro and the system wont recognise the drive and I can;t do anything with it.  I got it connected using a USB docking station.  I can’t even install and run the WD Discovery prgm.  It just hangs when it’s loading. I found some prgms that recognize the drive, but they can’t format it.

I hope some one comes to our rescue.  :frowning:

Me too, antalo. I’m still looking for a program that can do it. Swissknife wont do it in my docking station and Partition Master Pro wont either. I can partition and format 2tb’s but what’s the point of buying (and selling WD?) a 4TB if it’s useless as a 4TB in a desktop!!

When I know; so will you mate.:smiley:

I hope your still there, my friend. I’ve cracked it. If you want to boot off the HDD it has to be MBR for Windows. But if it’s only for storage it can be GPT. they both format as NTFS. I have stransfered a file and it works fine.! I used Partition Master Pro.

Initialized as GPT then partitioned, then formatted as NTFS. took less than 5 minutes.WHOOPEE

ANTALO wrote:

I’m in the sameboat and it is sinking fast.  I got a WD40EZRX I want to put in m Magnavox MBR535   DVDR and I can’t partition it or format it.  I’ve been searching for several days and nothing works.  I’m running  Win 8 Pro and the system wont recognise the drive and I can;t do anything with it.  I got it connected using a USB docking station.  I can’t even install and run the WD Discovery prgm.  It just hangs when it’s loading. I found some prgms that recognize the drive, but they can’t format it.

I hope some one comes to our rescue.  :frowning:

ANTALO this is probably because not all USB docking stations support 4TB drives. Providing the HDD and docking station are healthy, and the station is compatible with 4TB drives there is no reason it shouldn’t work.

maxpayne3 wrote:

I hope your still there, my friend. I’ve cracked it. If you want to boot off the HDD it has to be MBR for Windows. But if it’s only for storage it can be GPT. they both format as NTFS. I have stransfered a file and it works fine.! I used Partition Master Pro.

Initialized as GPT then partitioned, then formatted as NTFS. took less than 5 minutes.WHOOPEE

If you initialize as MBR you will only be able to format it as 2.2GiB, but yes, older systems will be able to boot off it.

You can boot off a 4TB disk formatted to 4TB if it’s initialized to GPT, however you need an EFI BIOS, which are a fairly new thing in mainstream computing.

were able to find at least one legit hard drive with actual picture here, having the same problem, my full model number WD40EZRX-00SPEB0

It’s not a “problem”, it’s a limitation of MBR. If you use MBR you are limited to 4 partitions, and each partition is limited to 2.2TiB. You can not EVER make a partition greater than 2.2TiB, it’s a limitation of MBR around using 32 bit definitions for partition sizes.

If you have an EFI BIOS you can use GPT and boot off a single 4GB partition, if you don’t have an EFI BIOS and you want to use it as a boot disk you will need to format to MBR and make 2 or more partitions that are under the 2.2TiB limit each.