WD3200 not recognized in Disk Management

I have a usb external WD 3200 that is recognized under Device Manager but not under Disk Management.  This is on a Windows XP box.  It was working fine on a Windows Vista PC before the main HDD on that PC crashed.  I then hooked the external drive to an XP machine and this is where I’m at.   Can’t imagine it’s a driver issue as the drivers for an external HDD is supplied by the Windows OS.  It’s recognized in Device Manager so why not in DIsk Management?

Thanks,

Jeff

Does it show at all in disk management? Sometimes it just needs a name assigned to it.

Joe

No it doesn’t show in DM…only shows the main HD of the PC it’s attached to.  Doesn’t show any other device there. 

Under Device Manager it’s recognized as “WD3200JB External USB Device”.  But again, nothing under Disk Management. 

I did connect it to a Windows 7 box and it was visible in Disk Management but was “not initialized”.  Not knowing if “initializing” would format, I didn’t try it.

If it shows under Device manager do the following :

Right Cick in the drive which is showing as the WD3200 under device manager >Uninstall >Disconnect the passport > restart your computer > reconnect the passport back in , into another usb port ( in the back in case you have a desktop ) , Hope it Helps :slight_smile:

Did what you suggested with the same results.  This is on a laptop but I’ve also tested on a functional desktop with XP.  After rebooting and connecting to a different USB port on the laptop it even said “hardware installed and ready for use” but no drives are mapped and it isn’t listed in Disk Management…I’m at a loss here…

DID YOU SETUP A PASSWORD TO ACCESS THIS DRIVE?

WHEN YOU CONNECT THE DRIVE TO YOUR COMPUTER DOES IT MOUNTS LIKE A VIRTUAL CD ICON ON MY COMPUTER CALLED WD SMARTWARE ?

LET ME KNOW SO I CAN HELP

A password was never setup on this drive.  When I hooked it up on the PC at home it would act just like a usb flash drive and map a drive.  There was no desktop icon that appeared.

I’m trying to connect it on a few different work XP PC’s all of which have McAfee…wondering if that might be the issues.  I’m taking it home this evening and plan on testing on a Win7 box to see if it works. 

It appears that Device Manager is detecting the USB-SATA bridge chip, but not the hard drive behind it.

Or it appears that the computer is not providing enough power for this device to be recognized , so i will suggest you the following :

1-go to device manager under usb serial bus controller and look for usb root hubs , on each of them do a right click and go to properties > Power management if ‘‘ALLOW THE COMPUTER TO TURN OFF DEVICE’’ is checked please uncheck them all , and retry to connect your device , it might solve your issue .

Unchecked "‘‘ALLOW THE COMPUTER TO TURN OFF DEVICE’’ on all usb root hubs and still seeing the same issue.  Here’s a look at what I’m seeing.  The yellow “?” on other devies is on there because I just rebuilt the laptop to see if that would make a difference.  They are a couple of driver issues for video, NIC, modem, etc.

DEVICE MANAGER

DISK MANAGEMENT

Try to Re-upload the pictures since they are not viewable :frowning:

Huh…wonder what the deal is…I can see them.  I’ll try 1 at a time here. 

A few other things I’ve read and tried without success is:

1. Disable 1394.

2. Due to potential power issues plug straight into the wall and not into a UPS.

Any images that are uploaded to the forum need time to be approved. You may be able to see them, but others, including myself, can’t. If you wish to avoid this inconvenience, you can upload them to a file sharing service.

Ok…sorry about that.

Well, here’s the latest.  I’ve tried the HDD on win XP sp2, Win XP sp3, Vista and Win7…none work.  They could all see the drive in Device Manager but not in Disk Management.  So, I cracked the case, pulled the drive, slaved it off another Win XP box and same thing.  At this point I think I’m SOL.  I’m guessing the electronics are functioning enough to recognize the drive but there’s something wrong with the physical disks.  Pretty much calling it a loss at this point. 

First of all , Opening the enclosure of the drive already VOIDED the warranty of your drive , 2nd if the drive was showing at least in device manager may be a booster cable was needed for the drive to be seen so :frowning: