WD2Go.com Can't Open MP4 Movie on Win 7n 64bit

I am new to this forum so I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place or this question was already answered. I did search the Knowledge Base and the WD2Go Forum, but couldn’t find anything that matched my exact issue. When I’m connected to my home network I can play MP4 Movie files from my mapped Private Share on  My Book Live Duo (MBLD) in Windows Media Play (WMP) just fine because I have the MP4 codec installed. I’m using an Acer Aspire laptop w/Win 7 Home Premium 64bit.

When I leave home and connect to the Internet I can connect to WD2Go.com and connect to MBLD and see the MP4 files on my Personal Cloud. However, when I try to open them w/WMP I just get a generic error message saying the file can’t be opened. I also get the same error trying to open them on VLC Media Player and Divx Player.

I also have an Acer Iconia Android (Honeycomb 3.x) tablet w/WD2Go mobile app and I can play my MP4 movies whether I’m at home or away. What am I missing here? I would appreciate any help getting this to work on my Win 7 laptop because it has an HDMI port and is convenient when traveling to connect to an HD TV and play my movies.

You may need to copy those files over from the WD 2go “Share” folder to your local storage before you can play them.

Some applications cannot read “WebDAV” links, and don’t know how to open the files.

Give that a try and see if it helps.

I’m sure they will run locally since they run from a mapped drive on my local network. That kind of defeats the purpose of having a personal cloud to access them where ever I go without having them using local disk space. I will look around more to see if there is a way to play this kind of media from a WebDav connection.

Thanks TonyPh12345 for reminding me that this Personal Cloud uses WebDAV for remote connections. I did more research and found that the XBMC Media Player can open and play videos from a mapped WebDAV remote connection. I downloaded XBMC from cnet.com. To Play your videos do the following:

1. Login to Wd2Go.com and connect to your share.

2. Start XBMC Player and go to Videos → Add Source → Browse → Windows Network (SMB) → Select WebDAV drive → Select Your Share Name → Select Your Media Folder

3. Click OK until you see Your Media Folder in the Videos menu

4. Click Your Media Folder and click the movie file you want to play

The movie starts fast and the audio/video quality is very good.

1 Like