WD20EARS - Failed and Abnormal Disk

Dear Community

I purchased a batch of 5 X WD20EARS 2.0TB approximately this time last year. I have been running two as ‘Volume-1’ on my NAS without problems for about 9 months.
I then expanded my storage capacity about a month ago by with another WD20EARS drive, the ‘Volume-1’; expansion completed successfully.

My Synology DS1010+ crashed and failed to boot up last week unexpectedly; a WD20EARS 2.0TB (s/n WMAZA1836250) disk failed and my NAS wouldn’t boot up. I then swapped the faulty hard drive and the NAS rebuilt the data, (I have a one disk tolerance).

With the faulty HD removed I ran Lifeguard diagnostics for Windows on the hard drive while connected to my PC via an USB/SATA adapter.

Results of the test for - Failed Disk ONE:
Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: WDC WD20 WD-WMAZA1836250
Unit Serial Number:
Firmware Number: AB51
Capacity: 2000.40 GB
SMART Status: Not Available
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 17:50:27, December 17, 2011

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Model Number: WDC WD20 WD-WMAZA1836250
Unit Serial Number:
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 08-Error was detected while repairing bad sectors.
Test Time: 21:11:21, December 18, 2011

Please could you advise…

The brand new WD20EARS 2.0TB (s/n WMAZA1846911) which I installed into my NAS is reporting ‘Abnormal’ from the Synology disk management console.

Results of the S.M.A.R.T.test for - Error on Disk TWO:
Quick Test: It is recommended to replace the hard disk (this disk has a failed test history)
Extended Test: Error(s) found. It is recommended to replace the hard disk.

S.M.A.R.T. Info, from Synology DS1010+ console
17 Dec 2011
[ID: 1] [Attribute: Raw_Read_Error_Rate] [Value: 063] [Worst: 010] [Threshold: 051] [Status: In_the_past] [Raw data: 261]
19 Dec 2011
[ID: 1] [Attribute: Raw_Read_Error_Rate] [Value: 172] [Worst: 010] [Threshold: 051] [Status: In_the_past] [Raw data: 299]

Please could you analyse the fault data and advise me what I should do including possible RMA.

Thank you

Smedley

P.S.
I will be unpacking and testing the remaining 2 WD20EARS hard drives soon.

I tested the remaining drive, I am astonished it failed!

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: WDC WD20 WD-[Deleted]
Unit Serial Number:
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 18:19:27, December 19, 2011

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Model Number: WDC WD20 WD-[Deleted]
Unit Serial Number:
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 08-Too many bad sectors detected.
Test Time: 09:18:37, December 20, 2011

Most of my Hard-Drives seem to be manufactured on 14 Oct 2010,(there are two drives which I have not removed from my NAS though) I have searched the forum and found that this seems like a troubled time for WD, a faulty batch was produced.

Should I RMA all of the failed hard drives?

Bad News,

I have just entered my serial numbers into the WD support, my warranty status is: No Limited Warranty.

I bought them from the reputable Ebuyer on 29/12/2010, I remember them emailing the offer.

I am suer the WD EARS had 3 years of warranty, would this vendor give me a warranty?

This is all getting complicated, as I have troubled drives but I don’t know how bad they are, and if they will be replaced by the appropiate vendor.

Thank you

I really do not know what Western Digital are doing.

After finding out I am not covered under warranty by WD, then going through Ebuyers RMA procedure, I have found out that I have not got 3 years warranty.

"Following extensive tests by our Returns staff, this item was found to be faulty. Therefore a refund will be issued once the RMA has been closed.

As per section 9.2 of our terms and conditions and in line with the Sale of Goods Act 1979, as this item is over 6 months old you will only qualify for a proportionate refund of the original purchase price. Therefore we are unable to issue a replacement as initially requested."

Western Digital, can you please intervene and give me my 3 years warranty, I am most unhappy.

I was not aware that I was not covered bu WD until a few weeks ago, how can this be?

May I ask a question…

1. Does WD pre-test all hard drives in “quality control” before they leave the factory?

2. Am I expected to install or test all hard drives on receipt, even if I have no available slots on my server and if I have bought the drives as back up drives?

3. Am I expected to buy special equipment like USB to SATA connector to connect the drive when I have no other available means of connecting the drives to a system?

Answering these questions would seriously help me with my dispute with Ebuyer

sorry but you are being to much specific…  lets wait for oficial answers good luck mate :confused:

Hi just as a reminder those drives are only ment to run software raid 0 or 1 ie like the onboard raid on a motherboard not hardware raid. And even then they are not recomended. Now things have gone to a 2 year warranty on all none enterprise drives, the competition sg did that last month and now wd has done the same. 

Western Digital consumer drives have never been a good option for RAID whatsoever, i’ve done that and i will never do that again, it was a nightmare.

I’ve heard good things about Hitachi consumer drives which should work fine with RAID.

My next drive will be either a WD Caviar Black or Hitachi, mainly because of the guarantee.

The reason no one can answer my questions generally is that this is a grey area.

Nice to know that there is not a simple answer to my questions.

I just think I have received Lemon DOA drives, there was a batch produced which maches the manufacture date of the drives for which there are many threads throughout the internet.

I will be fighting for my rights, the goods did not function correctly for a reasonable period of time, even if I unpacked the drives months after purchase but before 1 year had expired.

his is so unfair to you mate…i dont undersand why warrany is diferent in this case

Most NAS have restrictions on the types of HD you can use.  Is this drive on the “approved” list ?

Yes the hard drive is on the approved list at Synology, I have not deviated from their recommendations.

After explaining to Western Digital the problems I am facing with my Hard Drives and the supplier, it seems that they are not listening to my complaint of being unaware that a 3 year guarantee was not provided at the time of purchase for my drives. How can this be that customers have so little rights, the retailer clearly has more favourable conditions than the consumer.

[Deleted]

WD shame on you for not helping out. I will be replying once more, but I expect a non helpful answer to my problem.

Ebuyer ignored my rejection of a partial refund as a solution, they may not have my drives any more.

I contacted Western Digital by telephone after failing to make any headway by email, they were suprisingly helpful.

Ebuyer haden’t passed on the 2 year guarantee, so western Digital offered to replace all my 3 drives.

Lets hope that Ebuyer can locate my hard drives.

Ebuyer’s support and attitude stinks.