WD2002FAEX intermittently missing

Hello!

I am running a pair of WD2002FAEX on a Asus P8Z68 motherboard in Raid 1 configuration.  Randomly one of the drives will disappear (not seen in Windows, the BIOS or the RAID configuration utility).  Generally a couple reboots and it will come up again.  Have tried different ports and cables, but am also seeing the same behavoir from these drives in at least 2 other machines running on different model ASUS motherboards. 

WD Diagnostics show the disk as fine, but wondering if maybe there is a firmware update available for them?  Your help is appreciated.  Thanks!

Tango

To verify if your drive has a frimware update available you may contact WD Support.

“…  in Raid 1 configuration. Randomly one of the drives will disappear …”

that’s what happens when using WD Desktop disks in RAID configurations

WD desktop disks aren’t supported for RAID
and according to the following WDC help page
using them in RAID voids the warranty

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1397/~/difference-between-desktop-edition-and-raid-%28enterprise%29-edition-drives

@FailedHDDs:  Thanks for trying to help, but as quoted from the page you linked:

• “Desktop Class Hard Drives are tested and recommended for use in consumer-type RAID applications (RAID-0 / RAID-1).”  -  I am using the drive in a recommended and tested setup.

• Critical: WD Caviar Black, Caviar Green, and Caviar Blue hard drives are not recommended for and are not warranted for use in RAID environments utilizing Enterprise HBAs and/or expanders and in multi-bay chassis”  -  I am not using in this environment so warranty is not voided.

I also mentioned in my initial post that the drive itself dissppeared from the BIOS as well as the RAID which indicates a problem that is not related to the deep recovery cycle as the drive is essentially gone from the system.