WD10EZEX-22RKKA0 SATA Drive Space/Partition Issues

A couple of years ago I bought an ASUS computer that was prebuilt and had Windows 8 built-in. When I booted up my computer I noticed my C drive (where my OS and all other essentials are) only had 149GB of free space, while my D drive had up to 764GB of free space. Without thinking, I formatted my D drive to convert it into unallocated space on Windows Disk Management, but I later realized there were setup files on there. When I attempted to extend my C drive space in the Windows Disk Management program, the extend option was grayed out and I had no ability to add the 764GB of space to my C drive.

It’s been about 3 years now, and space on my C drive is running out. I’d like to know how to extend my space in my C drive without having to erase data, use 3rd party software, or have to buy a whole new hard drive. I’m not sure if the problem is linked to the hard drive itself, or if it’s something to do with my motherboard or BIOS.

Hi,

Not sure if you will be able to extend the C drive since the OS is installed on that partition.

What I can recommend you is to create a new partition on the unallocated space and star moving the files to the second partition.

Thank you for your reply. Are you suggesting that I move everything from my C drive to my D drive, including my OS? I was thinking of upgrading to a WD Black hard drive over the holidays to get better performance and to save hassle on partitioning.

I was referring to the data, not the OS or additional programs.

Almost all of my data relies on its location, i.e. my Program Files folder. If I were to move those folders, Windows throws an error at me and it won’t let me move it into my D drive.