WD10EARS ; Current pending sector count question

Hello everyone! First time poster.

Found out this forum over google while searching for similar experiences.

My problem is SMART data diagnostic as mentioned in subject. I will attach photo to demonstrate the problem I’m having.

While others on internet have increasing sectors count, or decreasing while reallocated sector count goes up, my case is more specific. Current pending is reducing itself, reallocated sector count stands still.

First, when I checked this in HD Tune some months back, pending sector count was “only” 1. After some time it went up to 9. From that time, I saw it’s more serious concern, decided to investigate and then I installed HDD sentinel to look up the issue. I tracked it over time and it reduced to 7 as picture demonstrates and it left standing still there.

Yesterday I did MASSIVE defragmentation operation on 6 of 9 partitions and that process reduced count to 1 where it still stands on this particular disk. One more sector is on laptop’s Caviar Blue disk which is actually friend’s disk where I recovered some data from - for him, it’s not important for my cause.

I am interested to know if my disk is safe to use in future, in your guys’ humble opinion? Why current pending sector count oscillates? And why reallocated sector count is still 0? As I read online, it should went up… How are other SMART values

?

EDIT I see picture got resized so I will attach it from external site:

Hello,

I recommend you run a diagnostic using WD DLG.

cright click and select decimal fields

i wouldnt worry about it… in that way

but i would worry about raw read error rate  let me see the decimal values

i think you have a weak head

another thing… you shouldnt use a green drive to boot your computer… you will loose performance …

Hamlet wrote:

Hello,

I recommend you run a diagnostic using WD DLG.

I did Short test sir, and it passed. For example this friends’ WD Blue fails short test, alongside this one pending sector. Luckily, it’s not important now, since I got data off it, for my friend, and even if it fails completely, he may RIP.

DavidSucesso wrote:

cright click and select decimal fields

i wouldnt worry about it… in that way

but i would worry about raw read error rate  let me see the decimal values

i think you have a weak head

another thing… you shouldnt use a green drive to boot your computer… you will loose performance …

Here goes sir: http://i.imgur.com/RTGlD25.jpg

What do you think?

As for boot drive, this is late 2012 Windows 7 installation, when I got the disk at the first place.

Recently I got this WD20EZRX at “steal” price and it’s quite fast compared to this WD10 (read 50-60MB/s vs over 130 MB/s) so I think I will lay Windows 7 installation on this one to have better boot time. This EZRX is really quite fast, moving data in Windows (especially from other disks to this one) results in writing to it, around 100 MB/s. I didn’t believe synthetic results from benchmark software so I took time to really test it in “real world” usage.