WD10EALX-759BA1 spins and sounds normal but can't access files

First off, I apologize for my description below and the fact that I’m a newbie in all of this and don’t understand much of the lingo that many of you are used to. Anyways…

I have a WD10EALX-759BA1 Drive that is approx. 8-9 years old in a Dell PC. I suddenly can’t access any of my files. When rebooting the PC the cursor just flashes in the upper left corner. I pressed F12 on boot up and got into the diagnostics and ran a test. Everything passed but the HDD indicated an unsuccessful self test with an error code of 2000-0141, which I believe is a Dell service code.
I removed the HD and hooked it up to my laptop with a USB to Sata Adapter cable and although it took a little longer than normal it did final recognize it. you can hear the drive and it sounds normal (no ticking sound) but the sound you normally hear when it’s reading info is a little intermittent and sometimes not constant…almost like it’s laboring.
When the files finally appeared it said I didn’t have permissions to gain access.

Assuming I can give the laptop permission to access the files, I’m not sure that I’ll be able to transfer the data. Any ideas or suggestions on what I can do to retrieve this very important info.

Open an elevated command prompt

TAKEOWN /F "<FolderPath>" /R /D Y

This will change ownership

Next time get a NAS and use file history so that when the machine croaks

Hard disks do not last perpetually, SSD are slightly longer lasting but they die too