wd1002faex

I bought a WD1002FAEX 1TB and was using it as a second hard drive. It was working fine for some time and then would not let my system boot. I disconnected it and the system started fine. My main drive is a Mushkin 120 GB  solid state drive. My mother board is a GA-X58A-UD3R. Now I can’t get the system to see the WD drive when I hook it up. Can anybody shed some light on the situation?

It would seem that it has “failed” completely.

I have the same issue with a Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H motherbaord. On cold start it will no longer boot to desktop. It freezes up on the final splash screen before desktop. When I restart it works fine. When I remove the second hard drive it boots up just fine. If I access the bios/cmos boot priority screen, changing nothing, just opeing the window it will boot just fine.

I am running the latest bios updates available from the gigabye website. Version F5. When I contacted Gigabyte about the issue they suggested that I update the firmware for my OCD 60Gb SSD. This has NOT resolved my issue.

This is becoming a major problem. It has cost me over $500.00 in data recovery as it has caused my 1TB HHD to fail while trying to troubleshoot. 

The system was fine for the first few months, which makes me think there could be malware at play.

As of now I cannot find a sensible solution to this other than chucking the whole thing under a bus.

If anyone out there has an intelligent solution I am all ears.The manufactures of the products I have recently purchased certainly dont.

My system:

Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H

AMD Phenom II x6 1090T 3.2GHz

8 GB OCZ DDR3 RAM

ATI Radeaon HD 6800

OCZ 60GB SATA SSD

WD WD1002FAEX 1TB SATA HHD

Windows 7U 64bit

I installed 2 of these WD1002FAEX drive last June 2010.  My primary boot drive started  give me problems on December 26, 2010.  Turned out the “SMART” was re-allocating a huge number of sectors and the primary drive was “hogging” my PC’s resources.  WD’s Windows Data LifeGuard Diagnostic tool was having problems to complete the Quick Test.  I processed an RMA for the drive and I have received the replacement drive.  

I would suspect a bad drive from a “bad” batch of these drives